USB ports on hubs not working

Reaction score
I tried to use a USB headset plugged into my keyboard's spare USB port. I found it didn't work and at first I thought it was an audio issue, but trying to connect my kindle via that port didn't work either. I then tried using the USB ports on my monitor and found neither device worked on those ports either.

The ports on the front and back of my computer tower are working fine, but no device is working or even being noticed by the computer when plugged into any 'hub' ports. This occurred without a restart from the time I was listening to a video via headphones via the keyboard port just an hour before the problem occurred, and I'm not aware of any driver or app changes in that time.

I've tried avast, malwarebytes, plenty of restarts, checking legacy USBs weren't somehow disabled in BIOS, updating every driver I can think of via Device Manager, manually and even with 'DriverEasy' for good measure. I tried each of those steps both before AND after a system restore rollback to Friday. I doubted it'd help but it couldn't hurt so I also tried CCleaner, and of course over twenty restarts at this point. Device Manager looks like this right now: http://i.imgur.com/Pt34ckR.png

I can't get that alerted Multimedia Audio Controller to update despite reinstalling my audio card drivers and realtek several times each now, but audio isn't the problem, just a symptom as the speakers I run through my TV as a third monitor are working fine and so are the headphones when plugged into the tower. I don't think that's the problem.

Could anyone suggest anything please? I've come to the limits of both my intuition and google. I would appreciate any help getting these working as I do rely on my extra USB ports pretty regularly. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I tried to use a USB headset plugged into my keyboard's spare USB port. I found it didn't work and at first I thought it was an audio issue, but trying to connect my kindle via that port didn't work either. I then tried using the USB ports on my monitor and found neither device worked on those ports either.
Is it possible that your keyboard as well as your monitor require a vendor specific proprietary driver to support the additional bus architecture for those USB ports to work properly?

Reaction score
It's possible, but generally when something happens to my keyboard's drivers its touch-sensitive media control 'buttons' stop working and they haven't. I have tried to re-install the drivers for both devices regardless though and had no luck, partly because neither has Windows 10 specific drivers yet.

I don't know if this is relevant or expected but it is data: not only does my computer not detect electronic devices such as the kindle or phone when they're plugged in via these USB ports, the devices don't charge either.

Reaction score
I don't know which Kindle you are using but the one I have gets very warm while charging, which to me would be a sign of high current flow. Yours might be fine but I would not try to connect mine into a USB port.

The keyboard and monitor probably have a USB plug to connect to the computer. Have you tried taking both of those or at least one out for testing? Is there any special port you plug those into?

System description might help.

Ask a Question