Using an installed printer on other USB ports.

Reaction score
If I install a printer driver when a printer is connected to a new Windows 10 machine on say USB port 1, and have it working well there, can I switch the printer to USB port 3, and still have the printer function properly?

The reason I want to do this is to prepare the computer before it is installed in its new home, and install all my numerous printers and scanners prior to its final location. There are many existing USB cables in place on my old Windows 7 machine, and I would just like to install printers et al on any USB port on the new machine, and then not have to worry about which USB port I finally connect them to on the new machine

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Although you might want to experiment, to the extent possible, in advance.....
I would expect that, once the peripheral is attached to a USB port and the appropriate software / driver package is installed and it is functioning properly .....
That if and or when that same device is attached to another USB port and Windows boots and enumerates its' hardware that......
While you might see the "found new hardware wizard" briefly..... the device will install and work as expected.
I have had this happen on occasion, when moving a USB mouse or keyboard that has been perpetually connected to a rear USB port, to a front of the case USB port and no problems were ever encountered. Just the bong of the disconnect and the bing of the connect to the new (different) port and a very brief found and installing new hardware.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. What you noted is what I have usually experienced in Win 7. I was just concerned that Windows 10 might have changed things. And sometimes in Windows 7, I've had situations where going through a new hub required a new install.

Reaction score
I agree with Trouble. Even moving a printer from a MOBO USB2 to a aftermarket card USB3 just sorts itself out on a boot with W10.

Ask a Question