USB Ports not working - Stuck at Lock Screen

Reaction score
Big gaming tower with ASUS MB, on-board sound, separate graphs card.

I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and everything went well for a day. Then my USB ports: 2's and 3's and my PS/2 ports too, went dead. Well, they have power but no communication. I figure I could reinstall an image of my Win7 and then roll back up to Win 10 but what is the matter is what I'm wondering. I installed a fresh Win10 ISO on another drive in the box and that one works fine. The installation I rolled up to Win10 by invitation sticks on the Lock Screen and I can't enter anything at all. So, I can't get past the lock screen. All other USB devices have been disconnected except, at one point, a keyboard and then just a mouse, then just a keyboard on the PS/2. No joy. Does anyone out here have an idea how to I can fix/hack/reinstall/etc the USB bus drivers? I think that would do it. Other ideas welcome of course. Thanks.

BTW, launching Safe Mode under my 7-to-10 conversion install makes the computer throw a "System Thread Exception Not Handled" error Wdf01000.sys Then it reboots automatically and I'm stuck back at the Lock Screen, well, unless I boot to the other Win10 OS on board, in which case I can boot to Safe Mode easily under that clean Win 10 install. That's just not getting me where I want to go. Might be time to just reinstall everything. Even the recent images I have are not what I really want. Gee, and Win 10 was working so well for me on a Dell laptop I've been using since February.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Jess and welcome to the forum.
Sounds to me like Windows 10 thinks that the drivers for some of your hardware need to be updated and the ones that it is installing..... suck!
I would.....
First Check with ASUS and see if they have a BIOS update. Then check and download and install the latest they have for your chipset and that ATK package update if one is available, been a long time since I played with an ASUS MoBo, but I think it is on the drivers page under utilities. AND anything else that you think might be helpful pre-update to Win 10. Especially if they are using any third party chipsets for their USB devices or other bus architecture like Renesas or jMicron, etc.,

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. I have the latest BIOS. After spending hours on this I decided it would save time to reinstall. I would have like to have known (and would still like) what the problem was. Oh well. I did a Reset under the new Win10 instalation and chose to keep my files (although I backed everything up again first). Not too painful. However, I did loose the MS DVD player app. Maybe it will come back, we'll see.

Ask a Question