USB printer connection failure and speaker static?

Reaction score
For the past 6 months or more my computer (WIN 10) looses USB connection periodically and a USB connection repair tool pop up leaves a message that says "cannot print to USB printer". When I check "Settings> devices> printers & scanners it shows, Brother printer off line. I found a quick fix is to hit computer "Restart" and the printer will come back on line and operate fine for a period of time.
My speakers also have a repeating problem of going into a static mode that causes them to shut down. The same quick fix works with them also. I have suspected that both are a driver problem and I have removed the old drivers for the printer and speakers and downloaded new drivers with no success.

Reaction score
For the printer, some issues can be resolved by using a USB 2 port instead of USB 3 and adjusting the Power Options so the ports aren't being unpowered.

Assuming the computer is a Desktop, not a Notebook.

For the speakers, after shutting down fully and pulling the power cord from both speakers and computer, also the data cable [usually light green plug] then replace. Also check the cables aren't frayed, have seen where pets chewed on them.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are your speakers also connected via USB?
Are the problem devices connected directly to the computer or an external USB Hub?

We're seeing multiple issues related to USB connected devices lately.
I'm beginning to wonder if a recent update may require a chipset driver update

Reaction score
Sorry about the wait. Had a problem getting signed back into this discussion. Starting at the top. My computer is a desktop.> I have no idea which USB ports are #1 or #2, my computer has 4 ports, 2 on the back and 2 on the front of the computer. Have tried all USB ports on computer with the same result. > How do you adjust power volume? > For the speakers, the cables all look good no fraying no pets.> Don't have a light green cable to ID data cable but have unhooked all connectors several times with no success.> Speakers are connected via USB port directly to computer.

Reaction score
Commonly USB 3 ports have a blue center while the USB 2 have a black center, newer machines may use combination that are black or some other color.

Can't say about USB speakers, forums have had posts about their unreliability. As for the cables that connect speakers to the audio out port, usually the color refers the to plug and socket, not the cable itself.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I found a quick fix is to hit computer "Restart" and the printer will come back on line and operate fine for a period of time.
My speakers also have a repeating problem of going into a static mode that causes them to shut down. The same quick fix works with them also.

Speakers are connected via USB port directly to computer.
OK... so two instances of problems, both associated with USB connected devices.
Some specifics regarding the Manufacturer's Name, Model Name and any additional Model Numbers on your computer might be helpful.

These types of intermittent problems are very difficult to diagnose and resolve.
The first thing I would look into is the Power Management Tab for all USB "Hubs" in Device manager under their respective "Properties".

Capture.JPG

There is one additional thing you might look at as well.
In Power Options -> Advanced Settings
There is something called "USB selective suspend settings"

Capture1.JPG

Disable that using the drop down menu.
You really don't need that on a Desktop computer and if it is misbehaving that may have something to do with your problem.

Reaction score
Again, thanks for your interest. (Bighorn) The ports on the front of the C/tower have blue coding and the rear have black. When this problem first started I was using the black ports and later switched to the front blue ports to use a shorter cable to the printer. Still had same problem. If this is a USB connector problem can they be changed?
(Trouble) My computer is a Dell Mod. 3668, 7th generation Intel core, 8 GB memory ,1 TB hard drive with Win 10 software.
While looking over your diagram I realized that you a getting beyond my computer knowledge but I have a friend that will help me with this. I think you might be on to something with the way the system repeats itself it could be a faulty or miss set switch. Thanks!

Reaction score
Which model Epson Sublimation Printer printer? Looking at the F570 [not cheap] shows it may not be intended to work with office-type paper/copier paper.

Reaction score
Which model Epson Sublimation Printer printer? Looking at the F570 [not cheap] shows it may not be intended to work with office-type paper/copier paper.
Got a message that my reply was
Not response of this question about epson printer.

but my question was not answered because apparently the OP doesn't know what printer is being asked about. The example I showed was part of eliciting that 'secret' information.

Ask a Question