USB3.0 doesn't work.

Reaction score
I've been told that the reason USB3.0 won't work on by system since I updated to Win10, is because I updated with my USB3.0 external backup drive attached. Is this correct? All drivers for the hard drive and mother board and USB3.0 are current.

Is there any way to correct this problem if what I was told is correct?

Reaction score
All drivers for the hard drive and mother board and USB3.0 are current.
If true I don't know what else to suggest. Other than disconnecting the drive, reboot, and then plug the drive back in.

Is this correct?
No that is not correct. I install Windows all the time with USB 3.0 devices.
In theory USB should operate as 2.0 ports if 3.0 drivers have not been installed. I have however run into issues where that doesn't always work.

Reaction score
Well, crap. I have downloaded all the latest drivers, uninstalled the drivers and installed the new ones several times. I have 2 USB 3.0 hard drives and one USB 3.0 thumb drive and none of them work. The first USB 3.0 drive I bought worked under Windows 7, but none of them work now, except as USB 2.0. Maybe things will be better the next time I upgrade my computer.

Reaction score
Sounds as if you are doing everything needed to get them working. They just refuse to cooperate. I don't know if it will help or not. But when dealing with drivers, I often reboot before reinstalling them. If there is anything still lingering in memory, it could cause a glitch in the installation.

Lets start from the beginning. Are your USB ports on a card or the motherboard? I'm assuming motherboard from your original post. And which card or motherboard are you using? And then link to the drivers you are downloading.

Reaction score
Sounds as if you are doing everything needed to get them working. They just refuse to cooperate. I don't know if it will help or not. But when dealing with drivers, I often reboot before reinstalling them. If there is anything still lingering in memory, it could cause a glitch in the installation.

Lets start from the beginning. Are your USB ports on a card or the motherboard? I'm assuming motherboard from your original post. And which card or motherboard are you using? And then link to the drivers you are downloading.

Yes, the ports are on the ASUS A88XM-A motherboard. The extension ports to the front panel don't work, either. I always download drivers from manufacturer's websites. I have just about come to the conclusion that something went South on the motherboard. It's curious, though, that it stopped working only after I installed Win10. It's been about 3 years and I just fool around with it every once in a while to see it I can get it to work.

Reaction score
Yes, the ports are on the ASUS A88XM-A motherboard. The extension ports to the front panel don't work, either. I always download drivers from manufacturer's websites. I have just about come to the conclusion that something went South on the motherboard. It's curious, though, that it stopped working only after I installed Win10. It's been about 3 years and I just fool around with it every once in a while to see it I can get it to work.
Yes that 88 board had Asus driver for USB 3.0 it was not native to the BIOS, When you installed windows 10, window ten took over all USB 3.0 and above 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2 with a Native driver
Have you checked Asus Support Downloads for a USB 3.0 Driver for Windows10 or 8.1, Not sure whether the last Intel USB 3.0 driver will run on windows 10. A solution for you would be to put in a current model PCIe USB 3.1 gen 2 cards and get a USB 3.1 Gen 1 7 port hub. 3.1 Gen 1 is quite faster than 3.0 and Gen 2 is twice as fast as Gen 1. So getting a Gen 2 card will future proof you. While a 3.1 gen 1 hub will run an External hard drive at full hard drive speed. SSD 2.5 SATA drives will benchmark at 500 GBS and Write and 480GBS On an External case Gen 2, M.2 PCIe NVME SS will run at full speed.

I forgot to mention USB 3.1 gen 1 and Gen 2 cables are not equal to USB 2.0 or most USB 3.0 cables to get the fastest speeds and connectability. ensure your cables are at least 3.1 Gen 1 5GBS or Gen 2 10GBS Rated. This is a big issue since USB 2.0 charging cable and even some USB C type cables are out there for charging phones etc but will not transfer data beyond USB 2.0 speeds 500 MBS

Quite a few options on the Amazon search

Last edited:

Ask a Question