Using WordPerfect 12 in Windows 10 - OK?

Reaction score
I have an installation disk for WordPerfect l2 that I installed in 3 computers, all using Windows 7.

Can I download Windows 10, as numerous pop-up screens have urged, and THEN install WordPerfect 12 ... or should I just leave WP 12 alone and try to use it once Windows 10 is installed?

To put it more simply: I want to use my existing WordPerfect 12 in Windows 10 -- AND I want to continue to be able to open any of my existing WP 12 documents in Windows 10.

Advice most sincerely needed -- and will be acknowledged and appreciated!

Don F.

Reaction score
IDK.... I can only find a single reference to what I think might be the product you are inquiring about.....
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Corel WordPerfect Office&vendor=Corel&Locale=1033,2057,3081,4105,16393&ModelOrVersion=12&BreadCrumbPath=word perfect 12&LastSearchTerm=word+perfect+12&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows 10
One person says it's compatible while six others apparently say it is not.
I can't seem to find any other information about it.
Good of you to reply! I'm really attached to WordPerfect 12 and regret that most of my fellow-users find it incompatible with Windows 10. Microsoft, of course, never worries much about this sort of thing, since it involves people.

Reaction score
Good of you to reply! I'm really attached to WordPerfect 12 and regret that most of my fellow-users find it incompatible with Windows 10. Microsoft, of course, never worries much about this sort of thing, since it involves people.

Reaction score
Microsoft are not responsible in its entirety, for the compatibility of programs in new releases of their OSs. That is the task of the software manufacturers.
Microsoft do there utmost, when rewriting a new kernel, to ensure backward compatibility, and do a good job. But they cannot be expected to cover the thousands of Software items out there. That is why software and hardware manufacturers get priority on early releases, in order to work out the problems.

I believe the version you refer to is at least 8years old (?) but stand correction. It is not even supported by Corel.
II would suggest that you install Windows 10, by means available to you, and try WP in compatibility mode.

FWIW. Like Trouble, I googled high and low for that version. Those I did find merely led me in circles to much later editions.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
I have an installation disk for WordPerfect l2 that I installed in 3 computers, all using Windows 7.

Can I download Windows 10, as numerous pop-up screens have urged, and THEN install WordPerfect 12 ... or should I just leave WP 12 alone and try to use it once Windows 10 is installed?

To put it more simply: I want to use my existing WordPerfect 12 in Windows 10 -- AND I want to continue to be able to open any of my existing WP 12 documents in Windows 10.

Don F.
I had Wordperfect Office 2000 installed on 2 PC's: my laptop and my desktop, both running Windows 7. Wordperfect 12 is included in this office suite. I used the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer on my laptop, where Wordperfect was installed and working just fine. After the upgrade, WP continues to work just fine. However, I had to replace the motherboard on my desktop. To complete this the techie claimed he had to reformat my C-drive wiping out all the programs stored there. OK fine, that's why I have CD's right - not for WP it turns out. For some reason WP will not complete the install on Windows 10. The only difference is that it was installed on the laptop at the time of upgrade to 10, but not on the desktop at the same time. I only found this thread while seeking a solution to my desktop problem. I do not guarantee my experience was the same as yours might be. Just sharing the story. Good luck. I have long felt that Word Perfect is far and away the best word processor. I will revert to Windows 7 on my desktop, if I cannot get WP installed running 10.

Reaction score
I had Wordperfect Office 2000 installed on 2 PC's: my laptop and my desktop, both running Windows 7. Wordperfect 12 is included in this office suite. I used the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer on my laptop, where Wordperfect was installed and working just fine. After the upgrade, WP continues to work just fine. However, I had to replace the motherboard on my desktop. To complete this the techie claimed he had to reformat my C-drive wiping out all the programs stored there. OK fine, that's why I have CD's right - not for WP it turns out. For some reason WP will not complete the install on Windows 10. The only difference is that it was installed on the laptop at the time of upgrade to 10, but not on the desktop at the same time. I only found this thread while seeking a solution to my desktop problem. I do not guarantee my experience was the same as yours might be. Just sharing the story. Good luck. I have long felt that Word Perfect is far and away the best word processor. I will revert to Windows 7 on my desktop, if I cannot get WP installed running 10.

Don F.
Wordperfect 12 works ok on Windows 10. I agree it is better in many ways than Word, and we always use it. Wordperfect X7 (ie 17) seems to work ok in Win10, but is much slower than WordPerfect 12. Chris

Reaction score

Don F.

I bought a Dell XPS-8900 February 2016 with Windows 10. I had been using Windows XP for years, with Corel WordPerfect 12. The discussions I saw suggested the WP wouldn't work on Windows 10, so I didn't bother. But a few weeks ago I decided to try the first disc of the WP 12 CD that I had. Amazingly -- because I didn't even have to use compatibility mode -- the WordPerfect 12 loaded fine, and everything on it works as usual. - Eddie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Eddie.
Thanks for sharing that information with us.
Hopefully your findings will prove helpful to others.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
I bought a Dell XPS-8900 February 2016 with Windows 10. I had been using Windows XP for years, with Corel WordPerfect 12. The discussions I saw suggested the WP wouldn't work on Windows 10, so I didn't bother. But a few weeks ago I decided to try the first disc of the WP 12 CD that I had. Amazingly -- because I didn't even have to use compatibility mode -- the WordPerfect 12 loaded fine, and everything on it works as usual. - Eddie
I am in nearly the same situation re Dell, Win10, XP, and Wp. I loaded wp12 on the win10 computer from disk and it loaded OK, but when I open it, it comes up but that's it. It doesn't seem to finish loading. The cursor shows as the rotating circle, so can't click on anything including minimize or close. I had to shut the computer down to exit. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Microsoft are not responsible in its entirety, for the compatibility of programs in new releases of their OSs. That is the task of the software manufacturers.
Microsoft do there utmost, when rewriting a new kernel, to ensure backward compatibility, and do a good job. But they cannot be expected to cover the thousands of Software items out there. That is why software and hardware manufacturers get priority on early releases, in order to work out the problems.

I believe the version you refer to is at least 8years old (?) but stand correction. It is not even supported by Corel.
II would suggest that you install Windows 10, by means available to you, and try WP in compatibility mode.

FWIW. Like Trouble, I googled high and low for that version. Those I did find merely led me in circles to much later editions.

It's better not to offer any comment at all than to make ignorant, useless replies like this to someone in need of solutions. I have been using Word Perfect 11 since 2003 and it still works great with Windows XP, but Windows 10 broke something that keeps my fully functional program from working anymore. Yes, that is a Microsoft problem, and only an imbecile would really believe otherwise. I still use Windows XP on all my computers that are not connected to the Internet with no issues and no difficulties, with lots of programs that are much older than Word Perfect, because when you have something perfect, there is no reason to "fix" anything. But Microsoft has decided not to let me use Windows XP for Internet activities anymore, so I am forced to downgrade to the new broken version of their software if I want browser functionality. It was Microsoft's decision to make Windows XP "obsolete" and nobody else's. The people who write software that works on their OS give that Operating System all the value it has by giving people a reason to use it. Microsoft certainly has an obligation to make sure that all software written according to their API continues to work on all new versions of their OS, or to make sure the old OS is always supported.

I'm glad that Microsoft doesn't build pianos because the key positions would be interactively reassigned while I'm playing, based on which one I use most rather than the note I want, and the number of notes in a octave could be changed at any moment to be 6 or 10 or some other arbitrary number. Then when I can't play my music anymore their mindless zealots would blame me for my unwillingness to adapt to the future. I'm glad that Microsoft is not the provider of my electricity because at random intervals the voltage in the outlets might be changed to 40 volts DC one year, and then 165 volts AC a few months later, and the outlet designs would be "upgraded" so that all my appliances would have to be modified or replaced based on the silly decisions of their design department, who don't actually use the things themselves, but are only there to make sure people need to constantly spend more money and relearn everything they already knew how to do so they are always dependent on Microsoft. I'm glad Microsoft doesn't make vending machines and buy all the food supplies in the world so that all food has to be bought through their machines, and then constantly change the money slots to only accept coins, bills and custom credit cards that nobody has, or possibly haven't even been manufactured yet.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud - the way Bill Gates is now trying to insert himself into every aspect of our lives, that last one is a real possibility.

Reaction score
It's better not to offer any comment at all than to make ignorant, useless replies like this to someone in need of solutions. I have been using Word Perfect 11 since 2003 and it still works great with Windows XP, but Windows 10 broke something that keeps my fully functional program from working anymore. Yes, that is a Microsoft problem, and only an imbecile would really believe otherwise. I still use Windows XP on all my computers that are not connected to the Internet with no issues and no difficulties, with lots of programs that are much older than Word Perfect, because when you have something perfect, there is no reason to "fix" anything. But Microsoft has decided not to let me use Windows XP for Internet activities anymore, so I am forced to downgrade to the new broken version of their software if I want browser functionality. It was Microsoft's decision to make Windows XP "obsolete" and nobody else's. The people who write software that works on their OS give that Operating System all the value it has by giving people a reason to use it. Microsoft certainly has an obligation to make sure that all software written according to their API continues to work on all new versions of their OS, or to make sure the old OS is always supported.

I'm glad that Microsoft doesn't build pianos because the key positions would be interactively reassigned while I'm playing, based on which one I use most rather than the note I want, and the number of notes in a octave could be changed at any moment to be 6 or 10 or some other arbitrary number. Then when I can't play my music anymore their mindless zealots would blame me for my unwillingness to adapt to the future. I'm glad that Microsoft is not the provider of my electricity because at random intervals the voltage in the outlets might be changed to 40 volts DC one year, and then 165 volts AC a few months later, and the outlet designs would be "upgraded" so that all my appliances would have to be modified or replaced based on the silly decisions of their design department, who don't actually use the things themselves, but are only there to make sure people need to constantly spend more money and relearn everything they already knew how to do so they are always dependent on Microsoft. I'm glad Microsoft doesn't make vending machines and buy all the food supplies in the world so that all food has to be bought through their machines, and then constantly change the money slots to only accept coins, bills and custom credit cards that nobody has, or possibly haven't even been manufactured yet.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud - the way Bill Gates is now trying to insert himself into every aspect of our lives, that last one is a real possibility.
You're replying to a 5 year old post. That person most likely is long gone. It's discouraged here to necro old threads. It equals spam.

Reaction score
Just a reply for megalonzerg's mention of a problem there's a possibility that a reinstall would work, I just installed WP12 on an HP Envy 17 running the latest Win10 Home 64-bit, seems to work fine except there is no installed E-Mail Client on this Notebook and it doesn't seem to work with Webmail, not a problem for me. There was a couple three scripts that don't work, again not a big problem. Also an issue is Registration and Updates, apparently because Corel no longer supports WP12, otherwise it seems to work as designed. The program files are dated 16 years ago, 2004. It install in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're replying to a 5 year old post. That person most likely is long gone. It's discouraged here to necro old threads. It equals spam.
I guess "necro" is a term that means something bad. I'm sorry that my observation and advise bothers you. I came looking for a solution to a problem yesterday, so it is all current to me. The problem I was discussing is one that is becoming more urgent every day and was obviously neglected for 5 years. Calling my knowledge and experience "spam" because it is different from yours is another example of the "cancel culture" that I was calling out in my post, since nobody else was willing to stand up for the poor information seeker who was abused in this post 5 years ago.

For anyone else still experiencing the problem of inability to save documents using older versions of Word Perfect under Windows 10 (72 people waiting for an answer on Microsoft's forum), I was able to find out on other sites where people actually offer useful help to those seeking it (rather than ridicule) that there are two ways to solve the issue. One is to delete the "PerfectFit Document Management . . ." folder from the WordPerfect Office 11/Programs directory, and the other is to uncheck the "Use enhanced file dialogs" box from the Tools/Files/FilesSettings menu dialog inside the program.

Reaction score
Just a reply for megalonzerg's mention of a problem there's a possibility that a reinstall would work, I just installed WP12 on an HP Envy 17 running the latest Win10 Home 64-bit, seems to work fine except there is no installed E-Mail Client on this Notebook and it doesn't seem to work with Webmail, not a problem for me. There was a couple three scripts that don't work, again not a big problem. Also an issue is Registration and Updates, apparently because Corel no longer supports WP12, otherwise it seems to work as designed. The program files are dated 16 years ago, 2004. It install in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder.
Thanks for trying to help! I just posted another reply that offered a couple of solutions I found elsewhere, which both worked when I ran tests on two different computers, using Win7 and Win10. My guess is that WordPerfect's "enhanced" save dialog, which adds options like the ability to attach passwords to documents, was taking advantage of a side door into Windows code to modify their standard save dialog, and that Windows 7 and Windows 10 considered that door a security threat and closed it. Unfortunately, WordPerfect made their altered option the default and buried the off-switch 3 levels deep in the menu with a rather non-descript label.

Thanks also to Derick Traub for his 2013 post about deleting the folder for WP 11, which I found on another site.

Reaction score
I guess "necro" is a term that means something bad. I'm sorry that my observation and advise bothers you. I came looking for a solution to a problem yesterday, so it is all current to me. The problem I was discussing is one that is becoming more urgent every day and was obviously neglected for 5 years. Calling my knowledge and experience "spam" because it is different from yours is another example of the "cancel culture" that I was calling out in my post, since nobody else was willing to stand up for the poor information seeker who was abused in this post 5 years ago.

For anyone else still experiencing the problem of inability to save documents using older versions of Word Perfect under Windows 10 (72 people waiting for an answer on Microsoft's forum), I was able to find out on other sites where people actually offer useful help to those seeking it (rather than ridicule) that there are two ways to solve the issue. One is to delete the "PerfectFit Document Management . . ." folder from the WordPerfect Office 11/Programs directory, and the other is to uncheck the "Use enhanced file dialogs" box from the Tools/Files/FilesSettings menu dialog inside the program.
I would sooooooooooo like to thank you Mr. M. for posting this! I'm a 70 year old retired school teacher and have been using WP since the late 80s. Even though I taught MS Word and had a good handle on it, I've always loved and preferred WordPerfect. I could write a book on that! I last had WP12 on a Win 7 machine that worked perfectly - had custom templates, macros and keyboards too. This week I was forced to get a new computer - a Win 11 machine. I installed WP12 but it wouldn't save documents after I installed it. I followed your tip to uncheck the "Use enhanced dialogs" box and it's working like a charm now. Wow! Even imported my old custom templates & keyboards. What a life save - all that work from decades ago that has not gone to waste. Thanks again Megalonzerg. You probably never thought someone would benefit so much from one of your postings, but I did. Ignore the haters BTW!!!

Reaction score
I have WordPerfect 12 on a Notebook and a Desktop running Win10 without issue but I installed only WP from the CD, not the other included apps. Newest version I have of WP on my main computer is X8. I'm also a Senior at 82 and have been using WP since my first computer in '92, it was WP for WIndows 5.1 but I took the community class for WP 5 for DOS. There are 2 things essential for me, creating labels and simple printing of envelopes without having to use Mail Merge.

Ask a Question