Version 20H2 install

RBC

Reaction score
Settings prompts me to install Windows 10 Version 20H2, however, it gets stuck at 61% installed. Noted this is a problem for over 6 months now. What's the solution?

Reaction score
what sort of a install are you performing a upgrade or a clean install? is the machine win7 or win10 latest uefi or mbr bios

RBC

Reaction score
Windows 10; Just running an update from the Settings page - not a clean install.

Reaction score
make sure your machine has the latest updates for the version the machine has installed.
download the windows media creation tool. run it select upgrade this pc. just follow instructions
takes a long time to get back to the desktop thats when you know its done loading completely
I have found this the best way to upgrade the system version to the latest win10 20H2
If your system runs into complications then your other option will be a clean install.
use the media tool to down win10 ISO file make a usb bootable install disk as win os is to large for a dvd disk copy.
This alternative requires you to backup all your personal files and trust you keep installers for any programs you want to reinstall.

mfx

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a workable update for the same. As mentioned best option is clean install. Likely failure due to an existing driver or potential legacy device jot registering and windows falling over.
My systen was unable to uodate from the 18xx release to the 19xx release for 18 months. No idea what or why but eventually it got there.
Another option to try is disconnect all peripheral devices and internal hard drives. Uninstall the graphics card driver and try update on a clean reboot. This has worked for some people.
Goodluvk
MS could really do with a user customer friendly bug reporting tool or built in. As what we currently have is a mess to decipher and hope for the best our search engines leads us correctly.

Reaction score
Settings prompts me to install Windows 10 Version 20H2, however, it gets stuck at 61% installed. Noted this is a problem for over 6 months now. What's the solution?
99% of failures at the 60% or 85% are due to corruption, MS has a set policy on Clean Restore Health. the first thing to run is always SFC /scannow....
here is a sample of a Restore Health
=====================================
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Now follow the next steps:

1. Mount the .ISO file by double clicking on it.

2. Open 'Windows Powershell' or 'Command Prompt' with Admin privileges (right click -> Run as Administrator)

3. Let's check the System Health first, by running these commands:

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

4. I'm sure that 3.3 will give you an error stating that it could not perform the task. And now it's when the mounted
ISO comes into play. Let's specify the file from the ISO so that we can fix it. Run the following command:
(Notice that X must be the drive letter on which your system has mounted the ISO)

4.1 DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\ESD-Pro\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:N:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

4.2 Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:O:\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess
5. Now let's repair any damage in the system files, shall we?

5.1 sfc /scannow

findstr /c:""%windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

Rename the Windows Update components folder.
net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
del /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver
>
> a) From Start screen, type cmd. From the results, right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as an Administrator.
> b) Type "net stop wuauserv" and press Enter.
> c) Type "rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old" and press enter.
d) del /s c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old /q del /(y/n y=yes n=no)
e) y=yes n=n0
> f) Type "net start wuauserv"and press enter.

net stop cryptsvc

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s
net start cryptsvc
md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s
net start cryptsvc

Reaction score
Windows 10; Just running an update from the Settings page - not a clean install.
I had the same on my Dell AIO. Going round in circles updating, as after re-boot, telling me to update!! Dell support assistants spent hours online with me, but could not fix it. I had to carry out a windows refresh anyway and after that, all updates were carried out OK, except the "feature update for Windows 10, 20H2", is now an option to update, and that's where its going to stay to stop me going round in "update required" circle again.

Reaction score
Anos se passaram e ainda o W10 tem problemas de atualização. Instalação não é uma opção boa quando temos inúmeros softwares instalados. Reinstalar tudo novamente e realizar reconfigurações é para quem gosta de perda de tempo, e atrasos em trabalhar ou qualquer outro a fazer mais importante.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, this is an English-based forum, translations are not as accurate.

As for the Version Upgrade, I've had good use of using the Media Creation Tool to get either the .iso file used to create the DVD exact-copy of the original or the Bootable USB Thumb drive then while in the running Windows open File Explorer to that drive or file and the setup.exe file to Upgrade the installation. For using the .iso file it should work to Mount it and run the setup.exe.

Reaction score
I was getting problem with mine, would download 20HC and when try to install I would get a message about there being a problem with installation and windows would have to 'undo changes made to your computer'. PC was then still on version 1909. This happened 2 or 3 times when I was prompted to upgrade.
I was prompted to upgrade again a couple of weeks ago and decided to give it one last try. To my surprise it upgraded successfully.
I assumed microsoft had applied some sort of fix as I could see many people having same problem.

Reaction score
You have to make sure your OS is fully updated or it will fail. Also go in to control panel, Date and Time, click internet time tab, change settings and the update now to sync your clock as close as possible to theirs. IF they check your time and you're 1 second before a given minute and they are 1 second after, it will fail. The time settings I haven't run into doing windows 7 updates and upgrades.
When I do windows 10 version updates, I make a flash drive and never have an issue
If you have an unknown fail in making the flash drive, use a different computer to make it. I have fun in to this issue making one on a friends laptop and we thought it was the flash drive. The drive would disappear from explorer and could be seen in disk management as a raw format, it has to be fat 32.

Reaction score
I too have had several problems with 20h2. I was arbitrarily switched from the previous version to this one and have had problem after problem, mostly related to updates. Had to contact Win10 tech in India for a complete reinstall which seems to work OK but still minor problems occur.

Reaction score
I too have had several problems with 20h2. I was arbitrarily switched from the previous version to this one and have had problem after problem, mostly related to updates. Had to contact Win10 tech in India for a complete reinstall which seems to work OK but still minor problems occur.
When it installed, did you run disk cleanup and click the systems button to include removing the old version of win 10? It can confuse your computer and takes a lot of space on the hard drive.

Reaction score
This has also been discussed elsewhere but I found that the problem of this ‘update’ hanging at a percentage and going no further is what happens when you attempt to download and install it from Settings>Updates, don’t go this route, go to the Microsoft website and choose Downloads and download and install from there, this will work. This update will take anything up to 3 hours to complete, in the process it will automatically determine if your PC has enough space, which it probably will because what this update is, is a complete reinstall of Windows 10.

Reaction score
Call Microsoft for help on updates.

Reaction score

Make sure that you have cleaned out your HDD/SSD by going to

This PC > right click on C: > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Clean up system files > Windows Update Cleanup and most of what is there except Downloads as you might need some of those...and clean all that up as that is taking allot of space up and it could be blocking some of the updates from MS for the 20H2.

Also, the 20H2 update wont install unless you have installed certain previous updates from MS. Also, it's important to note that, if you are using PCs that are managed by companies that have opted-in to only accept updates from the annual H2 cycle, then you won't have the 20H2 bits pre-installed, and any update will require a full OS update rather than the quicker process for existing 2004 users. However, you will still get the benefit of telemetry from those users, as it will have allowed Microsoft to keep issues to a minimum -- especially hardware and driver problems that might otherwise prevent a successful install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do a Google search for windows 10 ISO download. It will let you install from there or make a media tool. I use the tool and make a flash drive because I have more than 1 or 2 units to upgrade and this goes much faster, after the flash drive is made. Some say it upgrades more cleanly of faster, for this site, but I don't know.
Just make sure you have no other updates prior to install of it will most likely fail.
Just because your update page says you are up to date, doesn't mean it is. Check for updates and then if it finds nothing, you are upto date.

Reaction score
Yes a clean install of win-10 is the best way and its essential, see here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 for how to do that and all the guides.

I've never ever had a problem ever with either old/new computers and/or old/new laptops with any WU win-10 installs, just do what I've instructed above and first do a clean install of win-10 and then after each WU clean out the old updates as per my last post as that is how it will work just 100% without any lockups and errors, also keepall your drivers up to date.

Ask a Question