SOLVED virtual XP support

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes..... sort of..... but not exactly.
How's that for a non-answer, answer.
In Windows 7, you had something a bit unique called "XP Mode", which was a peace offering from Microsoft the coupled their "Virtual PC" offering with a free fully functional copy of Windows XP that you could run inside that virtual environment without any additional licensing considerations.

That is no longer available.
You're going to need a legit copy of XP with Product Key in order to do something similar and then you can use
Either Hyper-V assuming you have the required software and hardware to support it https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...windows/quick_start/walkthrough_compatibility
OR
One of the third party products such as VirtualBox or VMware Player to get an XP virtual machine up and running.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the answer! I have the windows XP pro with legit product key! Brugt i en dual boot setup. The computer I want to use is a windows 10 pro 64 bit and 8 gb ram on the same computer. The bios was setup for using virtual pc and this setting has not been altered. So I will see if I can get it to work. My problem is that I have a Delphi version 6 compiler that is for the win XP version. I have one software I need to maintain and thats it. I do not need to run more software, and can remove the computer from the net if needed while I use the compiler. Or I can install a virus software that can protect the XP.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As long as the motherboard supports virtualization it sounds like you should be able to use Hyper-V as a solution.
IF you need any specific help just post back and we'll see if we can figure it out.
Keep us posted as to your progress, whatever you decide to use.

Reaction score
well I followed the link you provided, and got the Hyper-v installed, and I am now trying to figure out how to get a virtual machine up and in use. Up to now I am reading the help until deploy a windows virtual machine in Hyper-V on windows 10. So far I am in progress ;-) reading and understanding the subject.
so far :
upload_2016-9-8_22-25-43.png

and the creation of Hyper-V went painless

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Create a new machine according to the instructions on page three or four of that link above labeled "Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager"
IF you don't need an internet connection you can disregarded the Virtual Switch although you may want to read it just in case.
And you shouldn't need any of the info regarding Power Shell to create a perfectly workable VM for XP.
Stick with Generation 1 when you create the new machine and if you run into any particular problems, post them here and we'll work through them.

Reaction score
well I did not get that far, but came to think of the SP1 for XP. Wil it stil be available? Sorry if my English is not that perfect.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK..... It's been a very long time since I've performed a clean install of Windows XP.
I know that they are not providing any new updates, patches or fixes, but I would presume that those updates that have been available would still be available although I couldn't say with any certainty.
I think I'd be looking around for some installation media that include Service Pack 3 already integrated into it.

Reaction score
the installation of the windows XP professional is now performing in the virtual windows from the installation CD. I will see what comes out of it ;-) the HD is a 1tb ssHD disk.

it is a long time since I have used XP and fun to see it installing and I look forward to see what it ends up with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well I had to remove the virtual machine I could not get on the internet to activate the XP and search for eventually updates. It is now time for me to go to bed. It is 01:19 Danish time

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's not a reason to remove the VM.
Did you create a virtual switch and then configure the VM to use that connection
I have a second dedicated network card that I use for that purpose but it is not necessary or mandatory. You can simply check the box to allow the management operating system to share this network adapter.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
the virtual XP can not find the virtual networkcard? I followed the pictures you prowided but I can not get to the internet in the virtual machine. I need this to activate windows, and to activate my compiler.

when I try to connect using the tool it tells me that there is no networkcard present and want me to use a modem. I have a 50mb fibernet and a router, The host computer is connected to this over lan,

Last edited:
Reaction score
there is global installed a vEthernet(global) but windows XP cannot recognize it. So I cannot get to the internet in the virtual Machine. I wonder if this has to do with the missing sp??

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Normally, I would suggest that you make sure that integration services has been installed into the VM, but....
It seems that Integration Services has been deprecated for XP, below at least service pack 2
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794868(v=ws.10).aspx
So your best bet might be, as I suggested above, to secure installation media that includes SP3 already integrated into the install media or see if you can get your hands on the stand alone installers to upgrade to SP2 and then to SP3 and see if that might improve how things perform.
I'm currently running an old XP install in a Hyper-V virtual machine on my Windows 10 computer that is fully network capable but it is a SP3 installation.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    84.9 KB · Views: 501
Reaction score
well I am desperately looking around for an iso file of xp pro with sp3 but it seems difficult to find. I have tried to get the servicepacks standalone but they will not install something with media not found. I wonder if you have an url for a clean iso file? I have not given up yet.

update:
I found one that I am just now downloading

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, keep us posted. I'm interested to hear how this project turns out.
The good thing is that, it's a Virtual Machine, so to some extent, you can be relatively fearless regarding the installation, it's easily blown away deleted and cleaned up and began again.

Reaction score
Final: the Danish winxp prof which have service pack 2 in did not find the virtual network card
while the winxp eng with service pack 1-2-3 I downloaded did find the virtual network card and sofort got activated and internet is present. So I have to get used to an English windows.

Thank you so much for all the help you provided.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The trick to getting Windows XP networking within a Hyper-V VM is to not connect it to your Virtual Switch immediately on creation, but.....
Instead to install a "Legacy Network Adapter" and then point that adapter at your Virtual Switch.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Thank you this downloaded win did also not connect to the net! I will se what I can do but it is getting late evening here,

Ask a Question