SOLVED virtual XP support

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As a test and because it has been a very long time since I setup and configured Windows XP at all, nevermind inside a Hyper-V VM, I downloaded the ISO you linked to above Which took a very long time I might add.
I mounted it and then scanned it with both Malwarebytes and Defender just to be safe. Both found nothing with the files contained in the ISO, so that was a good sign.
I then created a new Test XP virtual machine using that ISO.
I made the mistake of linking the networking part of the settings to my pre-existing virtual switch, which was a no go for networking..... no adapter showed up when I ran ncpa.cpl
I then removed the network adapter
Installed Legacy Network Adapter and then pointed that at my Virtual Switch.
As you can see from the image above you can see "Legacy Network Adapter" and under that the word "Global" which is the name I gave to my Virtual Switch when I created it.

Reaction score
this is what I get when I click on integration service

upload_2016-9-9_20-58-53.png
and this is what I get in and can not add what you suggest!
upload_2016-9-9_21-9-55.png

Reaction score
I rearly do not know what I did, but fideeling wth the configuration for network adapters I succeded in getting a network card installed in winXP, so now I have a Danish XP activated full access to internet.

Reaction score
Thank you again for all your help, without I could not have managed it. It was your last suggestion not to have a card before the windows installation. So I removed the virtual card and after finishing the installation i created a virtual switch an added as you said a secondary network card, I opened the activation screen and winXP went on the net and got activated, So now I can concentrate getting my compiler up running and activated too. Thank you so very much again for taking the time to help me out. I have now a Danish XP with SP2.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to get through the whole project satisfactorily
My install already contained SP3, but I ran Microsoft Update and found that there were a dozen or so critical updates as well as more "other" updates, so you might want to persue that and see if you can bump that up to SP 3 by way of the update process.

Reaction score
do you have a link to windows update because the xplink does not work

update:
found out, that the problem could be the missing sp3, and it can not be found.
edit:
I found a Danish sp3 so I will try to install this.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
for me it was just a matter of opening the programs menu and selecting "Microsoft Update" .... Yours may say "Windows Update" from the list.
That brought up IE and it went straight to microsoft updates
Code:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Bringing back old (and not particularly fond) memories.
Control Panel -> Add and Remove Programs icon -> Add New Programs (left column) -> Add programs from Microsoft -> Windows Update button.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
sorry not working here, but I can live with only having sp2. it is just for my compiler use! my software need a fix :)

Reaction score
well the Danish xp I have with SP2 does not have sata support, so all the work was fun but result not useable, because all my drives except the c drive are sata drives. Of course I can put all my compiler stuff on the virtual Hyper-v c drive :)

Reaction score
for me it was just a matter of opening the programs menu and selecting "Microsoft Update" .... Yours may say "Windows Update" from the list.
That brought up IE and it went straight to microsoft updates
Code:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

I installed the English xp I linked to and the button windowsupdate in add remove programs, just as you said wen to the windows update..

Reaction score
I am afraid I can not use this solution, because the xp only can see the virtual drive it is installed on and the cd rom drive too. so that is all and not enough, but thank you anyway for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is likely because you are using the Hyper-V Connection Manager to connect to the Virtual Machine.
Try using a simple RDP connection, next time you start the VM instead of clicking "connect" in Hyper-V manager open a Remote Desktop connection to the VM instead.
I think you will find that, much more robust and useful.
IF you set the RDP session options by checking everything available you should be able to see and use anything connected to the Host computer including devices that you connect while the VM is running.

Reaction score
Try using a simple RDP connection, next time you start the VM instead of clicking "connect" in Hyper-V manager open a Remote Desktop connection to the VM instead.
How can I do that I do not have this option.
Just as a comment I have an sata unit installed in my computer for this purpose, and have win10 in one draw and winxp in anoder, so i just can switch boot
Unavngivet.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How can I do that I do not have this option.
Simple. On the XP machine VM, in System Properties -> Remote tab
Enable check the box to Allow remote connections and note the name of the computer, the....
on the host system run
mstsc.exe
and type the name or the IP address of the XP machine into the name and use the "Local Resources" tab to choose all the devices to use with the connection

Capture.PNG

Use that instead of using the VM Connection Manager to connect to the XP VM after starting it.
You should then be able to see all the drives connected to the Host machine

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Simple. On the XP machine VM, in System Properties -> Remote tab
Enable check the box to Allow remote connections and note the name of the computer, the....
on the host system run
mstsc.exe
and type the name or the IP address of the XP machine into the name and use the "Local Resources" tab to choose all the devices to use with the connection

View attachment 3927

Use that instead of using the VM Connection Manager to connect to the XP VM after starting it.
You should then be able to see all the drives connected to the Host machine

View attachment 3928
Thank you! now I have the problem, that it was needed to set the bios to default, thereby disabling the support for VM, but i hope that other people can get use of this thread. Have a nice day!

Ask a Question