Websites Not Loading Until Refreshed

Reaction score
I just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 on my main machine. Now, most websites will not load until refreshed. On sites that do manage to load, it takes a long time, maybe 10 seconds. I've run all the ipconfig commands and several other suggestions I found on the internet, but nothing has fixed the problem. Also, I run Quickbooks for a non-profit and that program won't update. It times out and gives me a "are you connected to the internet" error message.

I've also tried using IE, Edge, and Maxthon browsers, all with the same problem. I know I haven't given a lot of info here. Just hoping that someone will have a quick fix before we need to dig deeper.

Reaction score
Have you tried Firefox or Chrome? Is Edge selected as the default browser?

Is the network on your PC set to 'Private' Is the machine connected WiFi or Ethernet? Have you checked for updated adapter drivers? Are you running an Antivirus such as Norton or McAfee and have you a) checked if it is uptodate for W10 and b) tried to connect with it turned off? You can use Defender instead temporarily.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you tried Firefox or Chrome? Is Edge selected as the default browser?

Is the network on your PC set to 'Private' Is the machine connected WiFi or Ethernet? Have you checked for updated adapter drivers? Are you running an Antivirus such as Norton or McAfee and have you a) checked if it is uptodate for W10 and b) tried to connect with it turned off? You can use Defender instead temporarily.

PC is not "Private". It's a desktop connected to Ethernet. All drivers are updated. I'm running no third party antivirus, only Defender. I have not tried Firefox or Chrome. I don't like them, so I didn't install either one. Other than installing my everyday programs, this is a fresh upgrade to Win10.

Reaction score
Are you, by chance, using Google?

I had this problem last week. On advice,and with reluctance, I change my home page and search engine to Bing and the problem went away

Reaction score
Are you, by chance, using Google?

I had this problem last week. On advice,and with reluctance, I change my home page and search engine to Bing and the problem went away

Thanks, Dave. I just tried that. Oddly, some site will load, others won't. I still need to refresh, then it's instant. Quickbooks still won't update - it just times out. I wonder if it's a weird firewall setting? Everything worked fine on my old install of Win 7.

Reaction score
I meant is the network shown in the network and sharing centre page shown as 'private' It should be.

Reaction score
I meant is the network shown in the network and sharing centre page shown as 'private' It should be.

No. It's set to public, which is the windows default setting. Looking how to change it now (never did this before).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try clicking
The Start Button -> Settings -> Network & Internet ->
Select from the left column your connection (usually Ethernet)
Click your connection
Under "Find devices and content"
Slide the slider to "On"
See if that helps.

Reaction score
Try clicking
The Start Button -> Settings -> Network & Internet ->
Select from the left column your connection (usually Ethernet)
Click your connection
Under "Find devices and content"
Slide the slider to "On"
See if that helps.

I set up a Private Homegroup and the above mention setting is set to "on." I have a meeting I have to get to. Back this afternoon.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I gave up and reinstalled Windows 7. Everything works as it should, once again.

Ask a Question