What I don't like about W10 so far...

Reaction score
I have been Edge instead of Chrome and all I can say is wow. It's brilliant. Only reason why I have Chrome now is for searches using Cortana.

Reaction score
Why did windows 7 have to be changed in the first place? Everything since has been awful - windows 8/8.1 and 10 are all horrible. We are forced to have app's on our pc on windows 10 that we can't uninstall. WE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO CHOOSE WHAT WE WANT ON OUR EXPENSIVE COMPUTERS. Also I have a thick black line down the centre of my desktop display. Changing the wallpaper doesn't work and it doesn't appear on my external monitor. I will certainly not be upgrading any more of my computers to this pile of rubbish they call an improvement!!!!!
I totally agree with you Josnuggles. I don't know why they just didn't make the changes under the bonnet and leave the front alone. I have experienced each type of Windows since Windows 3 on floppy disks lol. They got really close with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. They tweaked Vista up and it became Windows 7 and I believe that they reached the peak with it. Not everyone wants the type of desktop versions like in Windows 8 + whatever and Windows 10. It seems to me that they are looking at the younger age group with regards to the fancy desktop. If it ain't broke don't fix it I say.

Reaction score
Whilst i don't think Windows 10 is terrible underneath the hood. The whole Tiles, Apps, Store, Windows as a service and especially the UI i can do without. Flat colours are ok as long as we can have any colour, any size and any font. At least give us back the UI changes we could do with Win7.

I would stick with Win 7 but the writing is on the wall, MS will slowly wind down support for it to get us all on the Win 10 bandwagon so they can get some of the sales that Apple and Google have made through selling third party (Mostly Useless) Apps.

Why does MS not look into all the programs coming from third party vendors and try and incorporate them into Windows 10. Start10 was out before Windows 10 RTM, that tells you something. ClassicShell, WinAero and of course Stardock will all come out with their programs to give us what we want not what MS wants us to have.

I have said before there is a reason why at the moment Apple has a separate OS for iPhone and iPad and another for its desktops and Laptops. Screen real estate is important and having over massive tiles, icons and such is not what those of us who actually use a computer for more than writing a document, email or facebook.

I wish some of my programs worked on Linux because i would be done with Windows. Im now seriously looking at Apple MacPro and Bootcamp as a way of getting what i want not what MS wants to spoon feed me.

Overall i think Win 10 is an improvement on Win 8/8.1 but still to much like them to make me want to stay. I have £5000 next year to spend on hardware and i think that it will be an Apple iMac with 32Gb Memory and an Apple Macbook Pro for mobility. Yes they are more expensive and the OS has problems but not nearly as many as Windows OS.

Reaction score
just a note, after that last update (yesterday) I don't see that narrator popup now, I did a hot re start, and a cold re boot and I didn't see it. so I hope it stays gone and that's one more "fix" down. we'll see............

Reaction score
just a note, after that last update (yesterday) I don't see that narrator popup now, I did a hot re start, and a cold re boot and I didn't see it. so I hope it stays gone and that's one more "fix" down. we'll see............

just did a cold re boot, and there it is again, that damned narrator is back, sooo I guess it didn't "fix" it as I had thought, oh well, maybe next time :)

Reaction score
I had a problem getting both narrator and magnifier to stop running automatically on every boot. It was a simple fix but very aggravating to discover.

What ended up working for me was to get to "Ease of Access" from settings. Once there I made sure that the narrator button was turned to the on position (also this is the same process for magnifier). You will more then likely have to turn the narrator position switch from on, back to off, then switch it back to on again. This will force the other options located under the narrator on/off selection, to become visible again.

For some unknown reason, once you have booted with the narrator running on startup, these options disappear. After turning narrator on, off and back on again, you will see directly under the narrator on/off selector, another selection that was not available or even visible, until you turned narrator on, off and then back on again.

The selection you are looking for is now available. It is labeled "Start Narrator Automatically", switch that selection from on, back to off. After that, It really doesn't matter if you turn the narrator off or not. The next time you reboot, narrator (also magnifier if you changed that too) will not automatically turn on and run on every boot.

Obviously there is a simple error in Windows 10. Once you automatically boot with narrator or magnifier running, you will not see the option of "Start Narrator Automatically" in the ease of access options. It does not become visible again, until you turn the narrator (or magnifier) selection from on, to off and then back to on again.

Reaction score
OK I'll try that again, this time booting while its set to ON, and re setting to OFF and re booting, but I did that before and it didn't work. That's why I just went and renammed the thing (narrator.ex) and was done with it.

Reaction score
Image1.jpg
I had a problem getting both narrator and magnifier to stop running automatically on every boot. It was a simple fix but very aggravating to discover.

What ended up working for me was to get to "Ease of Access" from settings. Once there I made sure that the narrator button was turned to the on position (also this is the same process for magnifier). You will more then likely have to turn the narrator position switch from on, back to off, then switch it back to on again. This will force the other options located under the narrator on/off selection, to become visible again.

For some unknown reason, once you have booted with the narrator running on startup, these options disappear. After turning narrator on, off and back on again, you will see directly under the narrator on/off selector, another selection that was not available or even visible, until you turned narrator on, off and then back on again.

The selection you are looking for is now available. It is labeled "Start Narrator Automatically", switch that selection from on, back to off. After that, It really doesn't matter if you turn the narrator off or not. The next time you reboot, narrator (also magnifier if you changed that too) will not automatically turn on and run on every boot.

Obviously there is a simple error in Windows 10. Once you automatically boot with narrator or magnifier running, you will not see the option of "Start Narrator Automatically" in the ease of access options. It does not become visible again, until you turn the narrator (or magnifier) selection from on, to off and then back to on again.

Well that doesn't work at all for me, I just went through this a couple times, and btw I already had that 2nd auto setting showing all the time, and it was also set to OFF.

So its back to renaming the thing again to keep it "OFF"

Reaction score
If you try what you said, I'm sure it won't work. That is not what I'm saying to do.

Let me try to say it a little bit better. Go to your Ease of Access page from settings. In the narrator section, just turn on then off then back on, the narrator. Do not reboot at all while doing this. Keep turning narrator on then off until you see the selection below it become visible again.

The selection below turning the narrator on and off, will read "Start Narrator Automatically". It will become active again after you toggle the narrator switch on and off and back to on again. This selection "Start Narrator Automatically" is what you need to change to stop narrator from running on startup. It needs to be changed to the "off" position.

This selection "Start Narrator Automatically" totally controls if narrator runs on startup or not. Turning the narrator itself either to on or off, has nothing to do with narrator running on startup. Putting the narrator toggle in either position, will not stop narrator from running on startup.

If you can not see the selection under the narrator on/off toggle control that is listed as "Start Narrator Automatically" with a toggle switch that allows you to have control of that option to either on or off. Then you need to toggle the on/off switch turning the narrator from on to off, until you see that option become available again.

After you can see the "Start Narrator Automatically" selection become active again, you will then understand that you have the ability to control narrator to either run or not run, on startup.

Reaction score
It's very hard to explain this because of the way Window 10 operates.

Once you have your computer start with narrator running on startup, the control box in ease of access will change. If you move the toggle switch from on to off for the narrator, it will look like the other controls are set to off also, but they aren't.

You can tell that they are not operational because they are not highlighted but instead, they are light gray with no way of having any control over them. No visible toggle switch functions for any selection below narrator, for changing anything from on to off or off to on.

Only when you toggle the narrator switch back and forth from on to off, do you fully see the other control switches. Then they will give you full control of toggling them on or off..

Reaction score
If you try what you said, I'm sure it won't work. That is not what I'm saying to do.

Let me try to say it a little bit better. Go to your Ease of Access page from settings. In the narrator section, just turn on then off then back on, the narrator. Do not reboot at all while doing this. Keep turning narrator on then off until you see the selection below it become visible again.

The selection below turning the narrator on and off, will read "Start Narrator Automatically". It will become active again after you toggle the narrator switch on and off and back to on again. This selection "Start Narrator Automatically" is what you need to change to stop narrator from running on startup. It needs to be changed to the "off" position.

This selection "Start Narrator Automatically" totally controls if narrator runs on startup or not. Turning the narrator itself either to on or off, has nothing to do with narrator running on startup. Putting the narrator toggle in either position, will not stop narrator from running on startup.

If you can not see the selection under the narrator on/off toggle control that is listed as "Start Narrator Automatically" with a toggle switch that allows you to have control of that option to either on or off. Then you need to toggle the on/off switch turning the narrator from on to off, until you see that option become available again.

After you can see the "Start Narrator Automatically" selection become active again, you will then understand that you have the ability to control narrator to either run or not run, on startup.

I understood you, I said I did all that, I also said I already HAD that "start narrator automatically" showing either way, weather I had narrator ON or OFF, and yes here is a shot of it showing available when narrator is set to ON, and yes I set it to OFF as you can see, before again setting narrator to OFF too., either way once I reboot narrator pops up as usual. I have gone into reg edit, all settings, and what ever I can try, only thing that turns this insane thing off for good is to just rename the file, at least that's all I can do for now until MS figures it out and does another update.

Image1.jpg

Reaction score
It really is an easy fix. I'm just not smart enough to be able to explain it.

Can you see in your screen shot that your "Start Narrator automatically" control field is all light gray and you have no control to turn it back to the "on" position. This is going to be hard to explain, but it isn't really off. It's still on. This is a very minor flaw in Windows 10. One that is so small, it will probably be a long time before they correct it.

Can you also see that under the Narrator toggle that it's a very bright blue toggle switch and that you actually do have control of switching it either way. That is because it is working correctly. Your "Start Narrator automatically" switch shows you that it is off but it isn't. Also you have no control to turn it back on. That is because it is not working as it should. It is incorrect, in showing you it is off.

The "Start Narrator automatically" selection will change from it's light gray looking "false reading" that you see as off but it really isn't, into a very bright blue "live" toggle switch, showing up the same as your Narrator selection above, if you do this one thing.

Toggle your Narrator switch on and off as many times as it takes to get that "Start Narrator automatically" selection to turn into the same kind of bright blue selection you have for the Narrator.

This "Start Narrator automatically" switch is the only important toggle to control Narrator on startup. It must be a bright blue toggle that is controllable, to be working correctly. This light gray switch is not controllable and it is not giving you correct information.

Once your "Start Narrator automatically" selection becomes bright blue with a toggle switch that you actually have control of, it will give you two things. First it will show you that in fact it was not in the off position but actually will show itself in the on position. Second, you now have full real control of that switch and can really move it to the off position.

After you move the "Start Narrator automatically" back into the off position, you will notice that it is still a very bright blue toggle that you still have full control of. That is the way it should always look but there is a minor problem in Windows 10 that does two things.

It gives you a false reading showing you that it is off, when it really isn't. Second you actually have no real control of that very important option and it is not bight blue.

The only correction is to toggle the Narrator on/off switch several times back and forth from on to off if necessary. Continue to toggle on and off until the "Start Narrator automatically" toggle field becomes bright blue again, giving you full control. Only then can you really turn it to the off position.

I apologize for not being able to make it clearer. If you actually went through the process to correct this problem. You would understand the problem much better then I can explain it.

Reaction score
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg
It really is an easy fix. I'm just not smart enough to be able to explain it.

Can you see in your screen shot that your "Start Narrator automatically" control field is all light gray and you have no control to turn it back to the "on" position. This is going to be hard to explain, but it isn't really off. It's still on. This is a very minor flaw in Windows 10. One that is so small, it will probably be a long time before they correct it.

Can you also see that under the Narrator toggle that it's a very bright blue toggle switch and that you actually do have control of switching it either way. That is because it is working correctly. Your "Start Narrator automatically" switch shows you that it is off but it isn't. Also you have no control to turn it back on. That is because it is not working as it should. It is incorrect, in showing you it is off.

The "Start Narrator automatically" selection will change from it's light gray looking "false reading" that you see as off but it really isn't, into a very bright blue "live" toggle switch, showing up the same as your Narrator selection above, if you do this one thing.

Toggle your Narrator switch on and off as many times as it takes to get that "Start Narrator automatically" selection to turn into the same kind of bright blue selection you have for the Narrator.

This "Start Narrator automatically" switch is the only important toggle to control Narrator on startup. It must be a bright blue toggle that is controllable, to be working correctly. This light gray switch is not controllable and it is not giving you correct information.

Once your "Start Narrator automatically" selection becomes bright blue with a toggle switch that you actually have control of, it will give you two things. First it will show you that in fact it was not in the off position but actually will show itself in the on position. Second, you now have full real control of that switch and can really move it to the off position.

After you move the "Start Narrator automatically" back into the off position, you will notice that it is still a very bright blue toggle that you still have full control of. That is the way it should always look but there is a minor problem in Windows 10 that does two things.

It gives you a false reading showing you that it is off, when it really isn't. Second you actually have no real control of that very important option and it is not bight blue.

The only correction is to toggle the Narrator on/off switch several times back and forth from on to off if necessary. Continue to toggle on and off until the "Start Narrator automatically" toggle field becomes bright blue again, giving you full control. Only then can you really turn it to the off position.

I apologize for not being able to make it clearer. If you actually went through the process to correct this problem. You would understand the problem much better then I can explain it.

OH man lol, OK look, I understood you fine , I had already gone through this several times before your post also. The reason you see it light gray on that screen shot is because I had just switched the thing back to OFF from ON while it was "Blue" and once set to OFF it went back to light gray.

here is a shot of what you mean as far as the "blue" showing on the "start narrator automatically", yes I had that, and yes I clicked OFF while it was blue, than clicked OFF on the blue narrator button again to have it ALL OFF. And yes "after" setting it to OFF it went back to light gray, showing OFF.

At a re boot guess what, narrator is "back" in the taskbar.............. so if its NOT OFF after that, than its a MS bug..... and only way I can fix the damned thing from re showing at every re boot is to just re name the dumb file.
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you have the "Start Narrator automatically" showing a blue toggle and that switch to set to off, then reboot, it should solve your problem. All I can personally say, is that it worked for me. I have a hard time understanding why it does not work for you. I would think that all Windows 10 operating systems are the same but it looks like there is a difference, somehow. I guess it is above my pay-grade to be able to help you, sorry.

However I would have preferred to see a screen shot that showed me you had both sections turned to off, instead of on, which is what you are posting. That both sections were showing the toggle switch as blue, as yours does. Then hear that you rebooted with those two settings switched to off, but still had the same problem.

I can only assume from what you are saying, that you tried it that way also. If that is true, then you have other issues that I can not understand. Someone much smarter then me, would be needed to solve your individual issue.

I hope that you can solve it. Also that if you can solve it, that you post your solution to help others that have this problem. I agree with you that it is extremely disturbing. I was very happy to solve this problem with my Windows 10. So I thought I could help you as well.

Good luck. At least you solved your problem by using a different approach. Maybe for some people, that will be their only option as well. If so, you have helped them, more than I have you.

Reaction score
If you have the "Start Narrator automatically" showing a blue toggle and that switch to set to off, then reboot, it should solve your problem. All I can personally say, is that it worked for me. I have a hard time understanding why it does not work for you. I would think that all Windows 10 operating systems are the same but it looks like there is a difference, somehow. I guess it is above my pay-grade to be able to help you, sorry.

However I would have preferred to see a screen shot that showed me you had both sections turned to off, instead of on, which is what you are posting. That both sections were showing the toggle switch as blue, as yours does. Then hear that you rebooted with those two settings switched to off, but still had the same problem.

I can only assume from what you are saying, that you tried it that way also. If that is true, then you have other issues that I can not understand. Someone much smarter then me, would be needed to solve your individual issue.

I hope that you can solve it. Also that if you can solve it, that you post your solution to help others that have this problem. I agree with you that it is extremely disturbing. I was very happy to solve this problem with my Windows 10. So I thought I could help you as well.

Good luck. At least you solved your problem by using a different approach. Maybe for some people, that will be their only option as well. If so, you have helped them, more than I have you.

lol OK guy, I understand what you were attempting, and don't think it wasn't appreciated.

I've messed with PC's for a long time, I have enough knowledge on pretty much most "normal" settings and usually never run into something that I can't find a "setting" for somewhere, I'm the one everybody around here brings their mess to me to fix lolol. Like I said, I tried pretty much everything, and the thing still finds a way to load. I even found a 2nd narrator.exe in the sysWOW64 folder and renamed that while leaving the one in sys32 alone, but it didn't have any effect, even with everything set to OFF. There HAS to be something in the boot setting that is loading this thing, but the old msconfig only takes you back to the task manager startup, which doesn't show anything about any narrator in the startup, but that's not the full boot sequence,, I need to get into that later when I feel like it, it has to be listed there to keep loading at every boot.

And yeah, that screen shot was just to show you I knew what you meant about the 2nd button being blue. yeah I turned it all OFF again before re booting, and the small shot shows the good ol narrator right back on the tray.

So yeah, I just went back to sys32 and renamed the thing as I did before and now its gone. I assume IF I ever have a need for it I'll just rename it back. for now its out of my hair.

This is probably the only solution right now for someone else with this anomaly, but you do have to take ownership of the file, and use properties to set the security access before it will let you even change the name of it.

Reaction score
I have read many many comments on this forum with regards to Win 10 and the more I read the more I get the old Millennium feeling. As an end user you shouldn't be put in a position where you have to take ownership of any file or solution to a problem. This is the programmers job not ours as end users. When Vista 64 came out I didn't have a problem with it, as well as Windows 7. I followed forums for both programs and the only thing that I could really see was users who didn't have enough computer grunt trying to install and run them. I installed Win 10 and it worked fine until I went to download pictures from my camera. Now being a photographer I had to ask myself "why wont it recognise JPEG files which are the basic of basic graphic files" Now I could have spent whatever hours waiting for all the updates to be loaded, but I thought that what if after all of that it still wont read my SD card? I decided there and them that if Win 10 can't be bothered recognising my pictures I'll switch back to Win 7. Now this FREE copy/upgrade to Win 10 is not really free when your frustration levels get high and that's why it smells of Millennium.

Ask a Question