SOLVED Why am I still on 1809?

Reaction score
(Windows 10 Home) I just checked and I’m on Windows 1809 and it says my system is up to date. 1903 came out in May 2019. Why am I still on 1809? What is preventing my automatic upgrade to 1903? I'm getting error code 0x8e5e0408. Should I try to upgrade to 1903? Thx,

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regarding the error code 0x8e5e0408:

Take a look at this article I posted some time ago:

Reaction score
I did some research and someone suggested I change

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

from 1 to 0.

After I did this I was able to successfully complete the download and install of 1903.

Reaction score
I did some research and someone suggested I change

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

from 1 to 0.

After I did this I was able to successfully complete the download and install of 1903.

which value did you change?? I got 10 different keys in mine at that location " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control "

Reaction score
Whoops. I forgot to include that. Change the value at ''Portable Operating System''.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Whoops. I forgot to include that. Change the value at ''Portable Operating System''.

That is a QWORD (64bit) value which and may not be present for all users.

What would be interesting is whether or not adding this to your Registry would tame the beast or not.

The fact you changed its data value to 0 implies that for some reason Microsoft thought you were attempting to install Windows 10 update onto a portable device, for example a USB pen-drive.

Reaction score
That is a QWORD (64bit) value which and may not be present for all users. What would be interesting is whether or not adding this to your Registry would tame the beast or not.

The fact you changed its data value to 0 implies that for some reason Microsoft thought you were attempting to install Windows 10 update onto a portable device, for example a USB pen-drive.

Yes, something about USB drive was in the error message. I'm very happy it was such a simple solution.

Ask a Question