Why is the WiFi limited sometimes?

Reaction score
Hi!
I've installed windows 10, but I've got a strange problem. My WiFi connection randomly gets limited for one second. It isn't so bad, when I'm browsing, but if I wanna download something... that's terrible :S 'cause when the wifi stops, the download stops too... What can I do? I think it's not my laptops problem, because before win10 - on windows 8.1 - it worked fine.
If it matters something, it gets limited in about every 5 or 10 minutes. Yuk!

Please try to explain the problem as easy as you just can, 'cause I don't speak this language very well... :3

Jan

Reaction score
I had this problem with windows 8.1 and thought that upgrading to windows 10 would get rid of the problem. But not so, I don't understand why Microsoft has not addressed the problem.
I have tried many of the suggestions made by others who were experiencing the same problem - to no avail.

Reaction score
I bought a new pre-installed Windows 10 laptop less than a week ago. I needed one with an HDMI port for connecting to the big TV. The WiFi is intermittent at best and sometimes just refuses to connect without rebooting. I am not tech saavy and most of the help here is way above my head.

I also have a three year old machine running W7, with absolutely no wifi problems. Idiot that I am I upgraded that machine to Windows 10 this morning and now I have two computers with wifi connection problems.

THere is a lot of talk about drivers but I would think that the new pre-installed W10 machine would have the right drivers.

HELP!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Without knowing what computers or for that matter what particular wifi NIC is involved I can only suggest a couple fundamental things to try.
First
In the case of most laptops you need to have the driver provided by the laptop manufacturer for your wireless card, as often as not the actual driver from the device manufacturer or chipset manufacturer will not work for a lot of laptops. Sometime they do, but most times they don't.
Second
If the Windows 8 or 8.1 driver worked then don't hesitate to revert back or even download it and install it in place of any driver it is currently using, especially the generic one that likely was provided by Windows Update.
And third...
Experiment with a different channel on your router. Likewise experiment with different or no encryption. Especially WPA2.... try switching between AES and TKIP back and fourth to see if one works and the other doesn't, and..... Experiment with the mode that your wifi card is using. You should find that under the advanced tab, using the "Configure" button, in the properties of your problem adapter.

Reaction score
I guess you missed the "not tech saavy" part of my message. Thank you for the reply but it doesn't help me at all.

I never had W8 or W8.1. The new machine came with W10 pre-installed. The other was W7 and worked perfectly.

Jargon like "WiFi NIC" and WPA2 and AES and TKIP mean nothing to the average user. Those of us who buy a computer and expect it to work without taking it to a service tech.

The new laptop is an HP and the old W7 machine is a Toshiba. Both excellent companies. I think the problem is in the W10 software not the hardware.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose if I purchased a new computer and it didn't work, I'd probably be asking myself......
Why do I still have this computer?
Return it for an exchange / replacement or refund.
As for Wifi -> that is simply a genric term to encompass the wireless (as opposed to wired) functions, features and services.
As for NIC -> another generic term which stands for Network Interface Card.

As for the other terms WPA2, AES TKIP, etc., those are a product of your wireless (wifi) routers configuration and actually have little or nothing to do with either Microsoft or Windows 10 and should be covered in the manual that should have accompanied the purchase of the Router.

Reaction score
I found that I could revert to Windows7, which I just finished doing. And guess what? My WiFi is working perfectly. I am now convinced that Windows10 is a flawed product that needs to be fixed. Thank you for your time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am now convinced that Windows10 is a flawed product that needs to be fixed
Me too. :)
The fact that it cannot provide drivers for every conceiveable hardware device and hardware software configuration on the planet is definitely a fatal flaw.

Reaction score
I found this video useful for fixing the wifi issue at my dell inspiron lappy running windows 10.

Ask a Question