WiFi - "can't connect to this network"

Reaction score
I have just bought a new windows 10 machine. It finds my home WIFI but fails to connect with the message "Can't connect to this network".

I have tried all the obvious issues such as re-booting (every component) so please do not suggest this. I have several windows 7 machines and have checked the configuration of the wireless adaptors and there is nothing different around security, or 802 protocol selected etc. I have tuned off IP version 6 after reading some forums but get the same error.

My router is provided is provided by SKY is:

Manufacturer Sagemcom
Model Number F@ST2304
Firmware Version 7.16a4N
ADSL Firmware Version A2pD038m.d24h

Whenever I try to connect I get the following router system log:

Nov 7 15:09:11 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=pppoa0 OUT= MAC= SRC=136.159.181.168 DST=2.125.174.9 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=50 ID=40139 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=45482 DPT=23 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000

My first experience with Windows 10 has been extremely frustrating and wasted a lot of time. I see that this is also a very common problem. Equally frustrating is the lack of diagnostic from Windows...I appear to have no way of knowing why the connection failed (hence why I have shown the router log).

Can you please help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Phillip and welcome to the forum.
Access your wifi routers web interface and check the Security and Encryption settings.
I assume it is defaulting to WPA2, which is a good thing, however it may be defaulting to TKIP or AES.
In either case change it from one to the other and save your changes, reboot your system and see if that provides any relief from the problem.
You may also have an option for AES + TKIP, which might work as well.
Every router is different so I can't explain exactly where or how to do it. Best check your router's documentation or manual or check with the provider they may have that information for you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, unfortunately its not use to me. My router is using TKIP + AES (only other option is AES which precludes all my Windows 7 PC's from connecting).

Where is the diagnostic information to tell you why WIndows 10 can't connect? "Can't connect to this network" is not really any use. If we know what the problem is, surely it would be easier to resolve?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried temporarily as a test, running the router "open", no encryption, just to check and see if we're even barking up the correct tree?

Reaction score
Wrong tree I'm afraid. Running the router "open" has the same effect. I can connect the Windows 10 lap top to my phone hot spot, its just the router.

Again, surely Windows 10 must have some log files that say what the problem is??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
May flush any bad credentials.
Click Start, Click Setting, Network and Internet, Link that says Manage Wi-Fi Networks, Manage Known Networks, Select your SSID and Choose Forget.
See if starting over and authenticating again resolves anything.

Reaction score
I'm leaving the forum, it is providing no value I'm afraid. You might think that someone who can check all their driver settings and produce the error log file from their router might be able to forget and try re-connecting to their network.

I started with specific detail and specific questions which are not being addressed.

Ask a Question