SOLVED Will 32 bit Electronic registration allow Activation after Clean x64 install

Reaction score
I am dealing with a situation where I want to upgrade my Dell laptop to a x64 install and seem to be having some problems.

So one question to start. If I upgrade a 32 bit Windows 7 SP1 activated install to Windows 10, it will place the electronic signature for this system and I should be able to reinstall a 32 bit version cleanly. Will it also allow me to do a clean Windows 10 x64 install should I choose to do so?

---------------------------------- Background

The history of this situation is a Dell Inspiron 1545 which came with Vista 32 bit version. I bought an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate which only had a 32 bit version, and was fine at the time. I have install media for x64 Windows 7.

The system is x64 capable and I want to move to an x64 install for Windows 7 or Windows 10 but attempted activation states the license is only good for an upgrade and since I have to remove the prior partitions during the install to change to x64, it appears this process is considered a clean install and will not activate. Perhaps because the License is for a 32 bit version of Windows 7 it will not allow a change to x64.

Basically, I currently see no path to change this install to x64, except purchasing a license.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is no upgrading a 32 bit install to a 64 bit install. The only option is a clean install.
I have install media for x64 Windows 7.
If you also have the license key with that media then you should be able to install Win7 64 bit without an issue (just not upgrade) and then upgrade that to Windows 10.

Reaction score
;) The only License Key can use is for the Update version.

You may not have come across this question before, but I like to keep the forum interesting. Will an electronic online registration allow a Windows 10 32 bit system to be cleaned installed using x 64 or will the clean install also be restricted to 32 bit.

I wish I had a retail License I could use which I knew was usable as 32 or 64 bit but they are all busy. I suppose all Upgrade licenses are limited to just on bit version.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Just for info, I was able to do a clean install and use the Upgrade key to activate the 32 bit version.

I probably will not go through the trouble of trying to install an x64 to see if it will now activate so for now I will just assume it won't

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've been meaning to perform the same experiment.
I'm relatively certain that the key is not bit version specific, however I would sure like to know if I could bounce back and forth between a clean 32 bit install and a clean 64 bit install on the same hardware / machine, or.....
If having first installed one or the other bit version, the machine is then locked (for lack of a better word) to that install 32 or 64 bit and is unchangeable after the fact.
Someday, when I have the spare time, I'm going to test and find out for sure, one way or the other.

Reaction score
Well, I could not wait. For now, the x64 bit version did activate after a clean install using the x32 Windows 7 Upgrade License key had been activated.

The system may change its mind when it has time to double check the activation and I will post back if it does.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks Clark....
Saved me some time and effort.
I'll probably still, at some point, play with it myself, but.....
In the mean time, I'll take that as Gospel, AND.....
Good to know.

Ask a Question