Win 10 Backup Issue

Reaction score
Hello all,

Can anyone help me, I'm trying to back up to an external HDD using Backup & Restore.

Never had any issues in the past but now when I try the backup, it goes through the motions and then errors out saying the media is write protected.

I've done the suggested registry tweaks online, done the diskpart suggestions, checked services.msc and made sure everything's running as it should be.

I can copy and paste to the HDD but running the backup fails every time.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Reaction score
I recommend doing this and forgetting about the built in windows backup and restore, use "Macrium Reflect 7.2" you can download it here for free or you can buy it (with more options) from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Macrium Reflect 7 lets you do a complete backup of all your files and any of your drives or slave HDD of your OP system and it also has an option of a bootable USB called "WinPE" that lets you boot and restore your system if it crashes and you can't boot into it. It also allow you to have an option that you can put the "Macrium Reflect System Recovery" at bootup instead of having a USB as a WinPE option (just in case you lose the USB) and its on your system all the time. This is a much more efficient way to backup your system and it works perfectly and its very easy to use and maintain, especially with Windows 10 and what's happened with v1809, like some people had to restore their files and have lost files.

Reaction score
Windows backup & maybe in the future file history are being deprecated & will eventually be removed, what you’re experiencing may be related to that.

Microsoft recommend using third party software:
“System Image Backup (SIB) Solution
We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.”

I recommend moving to third party imaging software now before it is removed permanently if you prefer backing up your PC rather than using File history.
Many users recommend Macrium Reflect free:

T_J

Reaction score
I have 2012 Dell desktop Windows 10 (v1809). I've used Microsoft 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' to restore images several times in February (Dell company partitioned 1TB hard drive >> OEM utility partition, Recovery partition and OS partition). My last image restore date was Feb 26, 2019. For image storage I use two external USB My Passport (500GB & 1TB). I install some software, use it, then restore prior image. I also use Ghost 15.

Instead of file backup (?), try making an image. Plus make a repair disk.

I make images with Windows 10 running and restore with the CD-R (or DVD-R). Even if MS terminates the program, my CD-R should still work. Plus I have Ghost 15.

Last edited:

Ask a Question