Win 10 Pro Folders Question

Reaction score
I have two desktop PC's, both running Win 10 Pro. PC 1 was an upgrade from Win 8.1 while PC 2 was a digital install from ISO. Because I am trying to migrate some apps and data from PC 1 over to PC 2, it has come to my attention that PC 1 has the following folders under User (my name): App data which contains three subfolders but principally concerned with one labeled LOCAL which when opened contains long list of apps where I am looking for Microsoft. Clicking on Microsoft yields another long list of programs where I am looking for Windows Live Mail.

Reaction score
I have two desktop PC's, both running Win 10 Pro. PC 1 was an upgrade from Win 8.1 while PC 2 was a digital install from ISO. Because I am trying to migrate some apps and data from PC 1 over to PC 2, it has come to my attention that PC 1 has the following folders under User (my name): App data which contains three subfolders but principally concerned with one labeled LOCAL which when opened contains long list of entries/names where I am looking for Microsoft. Clicking on Microsoft yields another long list of programs where I am looking for Windows Live Mail. My objective is to move MS Live Mail intact from PC 1 to Pc 2 by using copy and paste means as I have seen successfully done elsewhere. NOW HERE IS MY PROBLEM AND QUESTION: When I got to User folder on PC 2 I find that all the mentioned subfolders are missing, just not there! Why since both PC's are running same OS; and I do recall that Win 8,1 had all these folders/subfolders. How to these get established and populated? Seems to me that they should all at the very least be established upon installation of the Os, if not populated until later by some other process (install of apps perhaps?). Absent a better understanding, I am tempted just to generate the folders/subfolders myself manually assuming that is possible? Any education on this matter appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Bill,

Windows 10 comes with a default Mail app.

If you want Windows Live you'll need to install it.

I assume PC 1 all ready had Windows Live installed before you upgraded to Windows 10; hence its folders are present, whereas PC 2 was a clean install and has never had Windows Live on it; hence currently no folders present.

You can download Windows Essentials 2012 here (it includes Windows Live Mail):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials

Note: PC 1 may be using Windows Essentials 2011, so if you are intending to copy folders over check first the two versions are compatible and that no new folders or folder names appear under the 2012 version.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
It is not clear from your post, but, Windows live Mail is running successfully in PC1?

The folder you are looking for is
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

If you have installed Windows Essentials in PC2, but your concern is to also copy your previous Email data over from PC1 to PC2, then, there are two ways. Right click the folder mentioned (Windows LIve Mail) and, in the first instance, copy it to PC2 root. Then, in WLM, under File - Options - Mail - Advanced, in "Maintenance". point to the folder you have just imported. That would be, presumably c:\Windows LIve Mail.

If you now restart WLM, it should find all your previous WLM folders and Mail.
I normally keep this folder, where I have suggested. It eases the process of reinstallation etc. But, if you are satisfied with what you now see, then you can copy the same folder to its correct destination and, by the same process, redirect the "maintenance.", back to its default.
If, on the other hand, you have not yet got WLM on PC2, then it will be necessary to download it. But, a word of caution. Select the customise option and only the Mail program. The remainder are redundant in Windows 10 and can cause problems if you attempt to install them.

Reaction score
Just popped back to advise.

Windows live essentials is no longer supported by Microsoft. This is nothing with which to concern yourself. It merely means there is no MS help available. WLM runs 100% in Windows 10.But, the download from the official site will be terminated in the near future. I have taken the precaution, for future use, of downloading a free standing installation. You may find it useful to keep this on your computer. You can fetch it from here for the next 90 days.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2la...load wlsetup-web.exe from FileFactory.com</a>

Reaction score
davehc: 1. Thanks so much for the instructions which I will try out in very near future. I do have WLM installed on PC 2, so just a matter of moving the WLM folder from PC 1 to PC 2. The method I had found on internet and was attempting amounted to copying the entire App Data, Local file folder to PC 2. That failed as ran into two problems: first being, absence of App data folder and all subfolders in Win 10 Pro on PC 2; Second: PC 1 would let me copy the folders to a ssd that connected to Pc 2 via either USB to Sata adapter cable or directly with Sata connected internal tray, but when did that the ssd showed a new drive letter different from that which it showed when connected to PC 1 and worse, the copied folders did not appear on the resigned ssd. Gave up at that point. Still do not understand though why PC 2 OS does not contain the app data folder and subfolders. The only difference in them is that PC 1 was the free upgrade via MS from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro, while PC 2 was a purchased download of that OS???? So, will try what you have offered and see what happens. If I follow you instructions to the letter, will the app data and subfolders automatically be added to PC 2? Or, must I generate them, add them manually asuming the OS will allow that? Unless hear back from you otherwise, guess I will just try you advise and see what happens. ALSO: went to the link cite you provided and downloaded what I assume was the WLM setup file, but noted it indicated "web" in its file name. Does that in future it will install via internet form the cite you named rather than MS? Thanks for your info and reply.

Regedit32: Thanks for you reply as well. Yes, I have loaded WLM 2012 to both PC's so should be identical installs which as say above what threw me was the absence of App Data folder and subfolders on PC 2 when went to move the actual WLM data to Pc 2. As you can see from my comments in reply to davehc above, the method I was trying to use did not work for that and another reason as well as stated above. Am committed now to trying what davehc has offered. If that works, will let both of you know via this thread.

As a side issue: I also heard that MS was soon going to quit supporting WLM (beat me why, cause I really like it and have used for many years); so was also trying to setup an alternative email client (Outlook) and ran into problems there as well because I do not allow my email clients to use my direct and actual ISP. Rather, since I am an amateur radio operator, I use the servers at ARRL as a forwarder to my actual ISP (cox.net). Do this so that should I ever change ISP, only have to modify the forwarder rather than the universe of folks that email me individually which would be a monster and time consuming job. Unfortunately, Outlook must me manually configured requireing a lot of info not readily available to me. BUT, if WLM will keep on working absent MS support, then no need for an alternative email client!

Reaction score
Davehc: hope you are still onboard! Tried today the method you put forth. All went as you said until I got to the "Maintenance" part. I find no way to POINT back to the wlm file at C root? I had expected to see something there that would allow Browsing to direct it back to C root, but just nothing I can see that lets me do that. So, perhaps I just do not understand the Point back to C process you mention. Can you try again and be very specific? I did note a Store Location option which i did click on just to see what would happen, but all I saw was the normal path from C thru user, app data, local, Microsoft, WLM, etc. So, effectively, there was nothing to change regarding Storage Folder location. EXCEPT to not once more that the App data and all successive subfolders still do not exist on PC 2. Anyway, once I restarted WLM as you directed, none of my email folders showed up. Guess that was to be expected since I could not determine how to do the POINT back to C root process. I also just did not understand any of your next to last sentence just after "if you like what you see" which obviously I did not see anything at all. Guess you were explaining the second method of moving WLM over to PC 2, or were you? In any event, need another and simpler explanation of what you meant there? Hope to hear back from you soon, and Thanks.

Reaction score
1. Copy (NOT move)
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail from PC1 to the root of PC2. So, you now have
C:Windows Live Mail sitting on PC"
2. You must set up you WLM account, as used on PC1, in an identical fashion , on PC2
3. Now, in the store, change the location to C:Windows Live Mail. This should now show the folders that you had originally.

Ask a Question