SOLVED Win 10 upgrade now refuses to boot.

Reaction score
I have a Win 7 HTPC with a ASUS F1A75 M-PRO mobo and a AMD cpu which I just upgraded to Win 10.

Launched the process from Windows update applet, not the taskbar icon. All went well and the process completed without difficulty.

Set up my libraries and joined my homegroup. I was having trouble with the taskbar not reappearing from auto-hide and the mouse cursor “getting lost” or seeming to go off screen. One notice that I received was that AMD Catalyst Center needed attention. Was introduced to a number of options I was unfamiliar with so I made no changes there. Before I could navigate to update this app/driver, the screen went black and has since refused to boot.

Power on and I cannot bring up a screen with any recovery/restore options using F2, F8, F10 or delete. Win 10 upgrade on USB or DVD will not launch nor will a Win 7 rescue disc.

How do I recover from this? I was intrigued by Win 10 but I now regret the attempted changes. I like to resolve technical challenges but this leaves me not knowing where to start. Win 7 or 10 – I just want my media player back. Any suggestions are most welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Win 10 upgrade on USB or DVD will not launch nor will a Win 7 rescue disc.
For a board with UEFI BIOS you may need to switch from UEFI to UEFI / Legacy or Legacy Only in order to get the media to cooperate.
Not too sure how or where exactly it might be in your particular BIOS settings but it is there somewhere. Maybe associated with something that might be called Secure Boot?

Reaction score
Thanks for responding and your advice. Problem is that I seem to have no option to avail myself of any boot options to restore or repair.
Power is on with a blank screen and the HDD activity light comes on for a second every couple of minutes.
No attempts at F2, F8, F10 or delete during startup results in anything other than a PC with a mobo that will not respond to any USB, DVD or ISO media (Win 7 or 10) to repair my computer. Extremely disappointed...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible that your PC is not actually shutting down completely?
Are you using a wireless keyboard which may not produce the expected results when attempting to enter the BIOS
On my Gigabyte board "Delete" produces the BIOS, not sure what that might be on an ASUS board.
Have you performed a hard reset, which would include unplugging it from the external power source and discharging any residual energy by holding down the power button when unplugged (cord removed from PSU) for 30 seconds or so.
I'm not disputing your findings, it's just hard to believe that an OS upgrade has resulted in your complete inability to enter the System Setup Utility (BIOS) unless you are just an unfortunate victim of terrible circumstance and your board has for some reason, taken this opportunity to fail catastrophically

Reaction score
I understand your skepticism, I too am lost as to how this process could have locked me out of BIOS.
I had earlier replaced the wireless mouse with a USB mouse but will need to pull my other keyboard, good advice there. Delete is the key to open my BIOS advanced options as well. And yes, hoping for a miracle, I powered down and left it off overnight.
I was planning to pull it out of rack and clear the CMOS but will try your "hard reset" advice first. I had forgotten that practice. I can't get to it right now but will reply with results in a few hours.
Again, I appreciate your generous counsel.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Please keep us posted, going forward.
I for one, am very interested it how things progress.

Reaction score
Please keep us posted, going forward.
I for one, am very interested it how things progress.

Well my good fellow, I am delighted to share with you that I am back in the game. I made several changes to remedy my unresponsive build but what seemed to have done the trick was removing the power cord, waiting a few minutes, reconnecting then holding the power button for ten seconds or so. I was overjoyed to see the Asus boot screen again. I can't explain this but pleased to have found a way out.
I still may have to troubleshoot my "disappearing" cursor (on a single monitor). As mentioned earlier, the mobo Catalyst Control Center may be the source and solution/
Again I can't thank you enough. I posted on three forums and you are the only one to offer any advice.
You are neither "Trouble" or a "noob". Thanks again...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Excellent.
Great to hear that you've managed to resolved you primary issue (at least).
I believe AMD recently put up a new driver and CCC suite which might be worth taking a look at.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
I discovered that AMD has a program for CCC which auto-detects your graphic hardware and suggest updates accordingly. Ran this and things are more stable and cursor rarely wanders out of sight.
After where I just came from with a brick for a media player, I am a happy camper indeed. The upgrade has has been a smooth transition.- short term crisis and all!

Reaction score
Well my good fellow, I am delighted to share with you that I am back in the game. I made several changes to remedy my unresponsive build but what seemed to have done the trick was removing the power cord, waiting a few minutes, reconnecting then holding the power button for ten seconds or so. I was overjoyed to see the Asus boot screen again. I can't explain this but pleased to have found a way out.
I still may have to troubleshoot my "disappearing" cursor (on a single monitor). As mentioned earlier, the mobo Catalyst Control Center may be the source and solution/
Again I can't thank you enough. I posted on three forums and you are the only one to offer any advice.
You are neither "Trouble" or a "noob". Thanks again...

Hi my friend I fear l will have major problems trying to even do a clean install to an Asus F1A75-M Pro Bios 2012. I bought the board a while back to build a new HTPC. I was sick for some time so I just slid one of my laptop's in for my HTPC. Now that I'm feeling better I prepared to build my HTPC. After talking to ASUS support I found out they didn't support Win 10 for that board. And that I would likely have graphic, raid, USB and other issues they couldn't predict. Drivers not available! Please let me know how you came out with your Win 10 upgrade. Otherwise I'll just opt for 7 ultimate cuz 8 is junk. I will be running 2x 60gb OCZ Agility 3 SSDs Raid0 for my OS boot drive w/a couple high speed apps. Along with 1-internal Sata 7200 hd and a 2tb WD green drive via Pogo for streaming and storage. So I would appreciate any input that will save me time and frustration.
Thx
brad

Ask a Question