Win PE question.

Reaction score
Hi all.

My question for the day is, can a WinPE CD disc or USB thumb drive created on a friends computer be used with success on my computer to be able to boot up in the event of a major failure?

The second part of the question. If the above is possible, is the WinPE thumb drive/CD only workable if both computers are utilizing the same OS, eg. Window 7 to Windows 7 or can one PC be windows 7 and the other OS Windows 10, provided they are both 64 Bit systems?

Regards

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, don't have a definitive answer to your question.
I guess the answer "sometimes" will have to do. The Windows PE (Pre-installation Environment) is just that and generally operating system independent so somethings, like the command prompt might work while other things like System Restore might not.
Since the installation media (ISO) for Windows 10 is readily available, from which you can create a DVD or USB ThumbDrive to boot your system and from there perform any tasks supported by WinPE, as well as have a handy source from which you could re-install or repair install Windows, I think that would be a more robust solution to your question.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

IF on the other hand you are actually talking about a "Recovery Drive" which may include the system files. Those are unique to a specific system on which it was created.
And created from the "Recovery" applet in the Control Panel

While a Repair Disc is created from the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) applet in the Control Panel and typically referred to as Windows PE or what we used to call a Rescue Disk.

Ask a Question