SOLVED Win10 Mail... cannot access my sky emails

Reaction score
Hello .... incoming sky emails stopped on 6 Nov -

Q... are sky emails supported by MS Win 10 Mail, or do I need a software update for Win 10 Mail App ( if that is the correct terminology ) ...Joe

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum!

The first thing I'd check is that your settings are up to date. Normally Windows 10 will report a sync error if there are problems - has anything like this happened?

Here's the page to confirm the settings (scroll down to Computer > Windows 10 Mail and click the arrow):

The Windows 10 mail app should keep itself updated automatically. :)

Reaction score
Hello Ian

No joy yet !!

Following >>> Windows 10 Mail > Set Up your emails ...

Step 2... don't see 'Mail app' !? ...then Settings then Accounts... I don't see Email & app accounts ... but under the heading 'Email & accounts' are listed my email accounts... Two are sky email Accounts that are labeled 'Attention required'

Step 3... Don't see 'Choose an account' select Other Account

So Ian that's as far as I've got and kinda looks as if you may have too take me by the hand and walk me through this s o r r y ...joe

Reaction score
Ian is obviously familiar with the Sky mail. But have you checked at the computer end?
Have you tried to see if you are getting Emails from any other third party source+ If you are suspicious, that you are not, then:

Go to Settings - Apps - Apps and features.
Scroll down to "Mail and calendar." and click it.
Scroll right down the list and , close to the last item, reset it.

Reaction score
Hello davehc

Carried out a reset - no change - still not accessing the 2 sky and one of my btinternet accounts, getting sync errors on them

My 'gmail' and 'outlook' accounts ok - the mind boggles...joe

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Two are sky email Accounts that are labeled 'Attention required'

Is there a button labelled "fix account" next to this message?

You could try updating the app from the Windows store, just in case this is the issue - but this should have automatically happened already. Try searching for "Store" in the start menu and then click the three dots "..." button in the top-right of the store app. Then select "downloads and updates". You should then see a a "get updates" button which will update any apps that need it.

Are you fully up to date with Windows update too? Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for Updates. May be worth restarting your PC if there are any updates to be applied.

Do you have "2 factor authentication" enabled on your Sky mail account? I think Yahoo accounts have this option available, so maybe Sky Yahoo accounts do too. That may cause this problem.

I'd probably start by backing up your e-mail accounts, then remove the e-mail account from the Windows 10 mail app and re-add it again.

Reaction score
Hi Ian

I have just found this info on Sky Community Forum - not sure what it all means - always been troubled with the understanding of ''Email Client'' - surely in the beginning they could have used a different phrase!!??

Sam-R
Community Manager
Post 1 of 1

‎09-10-2019 09:35 AM
In the coming weeks, we're phasing out support for some email clients to make sure everyone is accessing their emails using a client that supports modern security standards.

You can find a little more information here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/problems-accessing-sky-mail-from-your-email-app

You will still be able to access your emails here as normal: https://skyid.sky.com/signin/email

Joe

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is interesting... I wonder what changes you need to make to your settings to get it working. It could be simple as enabling SSL.

Sky support is normally pretty good, so calling them may get you the answers you need, as they will probably be able to see the reason that this is failing from their e-mail server logs.

Reaction score
Ian & Dave

As advised by Ian got in touch with Sky ( 0333 7591 018 ) - passed onto a Techy after 35min wait - and via the web site www.sky.com/yahoohelp - created a new password for Windows ( www xxxx yyyy zzzz ) this now being your sky account settings Password .... Yippee

Worth the wait now it's fixed...joe

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad it's worked for you Joe! Thanks for reporting back with solution.

Ask a Question