Windows 10 and Windows 7 drivers et al

Reaction score
I have a question re the Windows 10 situation.

My primary computer was built by me 6 years ago. It has such niceties as an SSD C drive, and functions very nicely. It is using Win 7 Pro.

But I am considering buying a new system, from Digital Storm or the like, using top level components throughout, and Windows 10 pro.

My one concern is the many printers, scanners, programs et al, which are installed on my present Win 7 system, and function perfectly. I would not want Windows 10 to cut me off from any of these devices and programs, which I use daily.

So I have considered doing this.
  1. Upgrade my current win 7 system to Win 10, using MS’s free upgrade.

2. Then I will see if the installed drivers for all my devices are functioning properly, or if not, can I find Win 10 drivers. And, what programs, if any, will not function under Win 10 pro

3. Assuming that all works OK, and I’m happy with the results, can I then assume that a brand new system with Win 10 Pro will give me the same situation, and whatever was working in the older upgraded system will continue to work in the new system.
I have this feeling that an upgraded Win 7 system will respond better to this matter, than a new system will.

Can anyone comment on this matter please?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
I would strongly recommend that you backup all your critical data as well as a disk image of your current installation prior to going forward. Just in case things do not go as planned.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

There are many reports of various hardware peripherals that do not work well with Windows 10 and they include printers and scanners. Your best bet might be to check with the device manufacturer's support website and see what they have in the way of drivers that might suggest some support for Windows 10.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
I would strongly recommend that you backup all your critical data as well as a disk image of your current installation prior to going forward. Just in case things do not go as planned.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

There are many reports of various hardware peripherals that do not work well with Windows 10 and they include printers and scanners. Your best bet might be to check with the device manufacturer's support website and see what they have in the way of drivers that might suggest some support for Windows 10.

I use Macrium Reflect, and create images of my C drive several times a month, and always use the "Verifiy" option. I also back up my data and files every day or so. If/When I do go for the Win 10 update,. I'll create a current image, ready to go back to 7 if needed. For both these operations, I have about 6 different internal and external drives that I alternate using, just in case a drive should fail along the way

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
I've heard a lot of favorable comments regarding Macrium Reflect.
As a long time Acronis True Image user, that is one of the few that I have never had an opportunity to play with.
Does it allow you to mount the disk image and browse / explore it and then from the mounted image, play a music file, or view a picture / image file real time in-place?

Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
I've heard a lot of favorable comments regarding Macrium Reflect.
As a long time Acronis True Image user, that is one of the few that I have never had an opportunity to play with.
Does it allow you to mount the disk image and browse / explore it and then from the mounted image, play a music file, or view a picture / image file real time in-place?

I used Acronis way in the past. It was an awful program. Tech support was non existent. Software updates were non existent. I use the paid version of MR on my main system, as I want to support the company. Their free version, has recently added the "verify the image" feature which the paid version always had. They have regular updates. The software is superb, and the free version does everything I want. You can double click on an image, and it creates a temporary partition which you view it in your file manager, and use just like any real partition. You can add/copy/delete/play files - the works. This is the best software of its kind ever.

Ask a Question