Windows 10 - automatic repair after memtest session - memory faulty or not?

Reaction score
Hello.
Eh getting weird problem with Windows 10 Pro.

So few days ago when i ran memtest few hours without error, but after finished test i reboot pc and Automatiic repair started before windows. Is this something with memory ? Memory trigger that error? Or it is software issue?

When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem occurs only when starting system again after shutdown.

My disk is Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD. I run HD TUNE but no errors and CrystalDiskInfo Smart is fine 100% GOOD. Rams are 2x8gb DDR3 Kingston Hyperx 1600mhhz.

Memtest86 not showing errors.

Somebody said to me:"had similar issues, replaced RAM and I have been error free since."

So its a memory related or not? What you think about it ? Thx for answer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The first thing that I would probably do immediately is make sure all my critical data was backed up and create a disk image of all partition on the hard drive.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Then... If you haven't already, I would install the latest version of Samsung Magician http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html
Authticate the drive and see if there was a firmware update.
Then I would double check with the motherboard manufacturer and make sure that your Kingston HyperX memory was on their memory product list.
That's not to say that other memory wouldn't necessarily work with the board, it's just a place to look.

As far as distinguishing between a hardware or a software problem????
The problem sounds definitely like a software issue, in that evidently some critical Windows systems files had a problem, but.....
That issue is generally produced by problematic hardware so the two might go hand in hand.
Although there are certainly some instances where third party software products, including driver packages, security suites or even malware infections might produce a similar issue.

I don't believe that simply running MemTest86+ (assuming the latest version) would have caused the issue. It may have been more a coincidence more than anything else, although.....
It might be interesting to hear, why you were running the memory diagnostic program in the first place.

Reaction score
Yes i run memtest86 because game crashed when playing, Arkham Knight. So i decide to try memtest86 and check my new memory to be sure is all fine. After 5 hours without errors i decide to stop test. Then i choose in bios SDD boot and try to run Windows. And then Automatic repair was showned.
And then everytime when starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem occurs only when starting system again after shutdown.

So maybe after memtests that was only coincidence like you said?

Anyway i create topic because i am little worried because somebody said to me :"had similar issues, replaced RAM and I have been error free since."

So its a memory related ,hardware ,software? What you think about it ? Thx for answer.

1.Also to answer your question. My memory is supported by my motherboard.

I checked in my ram official site.
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=7&Mfr=ASU&Line=SABERTOOTH Z97&Model=89050

2. You said "The problem sounds definitely like a software issue, in that evidently some critical Windows systems files had a problem, but.....
That issue is generally produced by problematic hardware so the two might go hand in hand."

So what you think it was related to hardware some part or only software?

Here is my full pc spec:
4790K stock, aftermarket cooler , good temps
16gb DDR3 Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
Corsair 750 RM
SSD SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB
Asus Strix 980 Ti Oc

Last edited:

Ask a Question