Windows 10 Automatic Repair Restart Loop

Reaction score
I was similarly stuck in an Automatic Repair loop several weeks after installing Windows 10, and tried many of the suggested fix options, including System Reset and System Restore, none of which worked. Finally, I went into the System Startup Settings tab and selected "disable early launch malware protection" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact title) and it worked. The computer started up fine after that, and none if my data was lost.

You saved my life man! This worked. And now when I start up now, no issues, so a permanent fix. I'm pretty sure the issue started because I had a bunch of programs open for several days, bunch of spreadsheets etc, while family used computer and the computer would sleep when not used and every night. I find that when I do that for more than a day, the computer gets funny and things don't work properly or slowly so I restarted and that's when I got the issue. I might suggest to people to just shutdown completely rather than restart. This solution is important! I may post a picture of your solution (your quote above) on youtube so people can avoid all the crazy solutions there that I almost tried!

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to "trick" your BIOS. If you are having trouble evoking the BIOS Boot Menu to select the optical drive as your option, then.....
You should be able to enter the System Setup Utility BIOS and set your boot device selection option to your optical drive as number one and your hard disk to number two.
Afterward you should see a message during post to "hit any key to boot from CD/DVD"

Reaction score
Well I can't get a Toshiba Satellite C55 laptop to boot from the CD/DVD either. And I have booted quite a few laptops from the CD/DVD in BIOS.

This win 10 auto repair loop issue appears to have been ongoing for almost a year and no fix or release statement by MS regarding this issue? I do volunteer pc work for senior citizens in a small town. And I am getting calls every day about the new 1607 Win 10 version being screwed up, blue-screening, not completely installed, Edge is locked-up, the pc is very slow and takes 5 minutes to boot as it just spins and spins on start up. Heck with all of that...I am rolling them all back to 1511. MS is making quite a few seniors upset...just saying...hope somebody somewhere hears this and passes it up the line.

Reaction score
I had the Automatic repairs loop as well and tried one fix suggestion which was to disable automatic repairs completely so I entered bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No and restarted my pc. When it booted back up the motherboard start up logo appeared as normal and then the screen went black and said "no signal" and then went back to the logo and continually does this until you turn the pc off. Then when turned back on does it again. I'm stuck any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I was similarly stuck in an Automatic Repair loop several weeks after installing Windows 10, and tried many of the suggested fix options, including System Reset and System Restore, none of which worked. Finally, I went into the System Startup Settings tab and selected "disable early launch malware protection" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact title) and it worked. The computer started up fine after that, and none if my data was lost.
Thank you so much for this.

PML

Reaction score
I'm not sure there is a single cause or single solution that works for everyone. I certainly hope I never have to go through anything so frustrating again.
After days of suffering and trying many suggestions found online, this page worked.
Specifically, Method 4 at : http://troubleshooter.xyz/fix-automatic-repair-couldnt-repair-your-pc/
That ^^ was the magic charm that fully restored Windows 10, with no loss of information, for me.
I have detailed below a list of things I did prior to "Method 4", and DID NOT turn off or restart my computer after each step (tried before and ended up back in the dreaded loop!)

(Please note, I just made notes. I have no idea what steps could have been omitted or were necessary, I have no clue, I just googled everything and have no tech expertise whatsoever. I'm looking for work and I just desperately needed my laptop for job applications. Maybe I just got lucky but I thought I would share.)

I had to create a usb to boot - and F2 at startup and change to boot from HDD to USB
https://www.winhelp.info/create-bootable-windows-installation-media-on-a-usb-stick
downloaded (on an OLD desktop hp pavillion running XP!) via Rufus and then saved to a USB, required 4gb free space. I DID NOT TURN OFF OR RESTART after each of these steps below.

followed instructions from http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowle...n-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

It went into advanced options after a bit and then I went to command prompt.
http://www.top-password.com/blog/fix-automatic-startup-repair-loop-in-windows/

X:\sources>chkdsk e: /f
stalled at stage 2 85% : Total 63% : eta 2:30:26
RESUMED WHEN I HIT ENTER. FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY
CONTINUED TO CHECK C, D, E, F

x:\sources>bootrec /fixmbr
x:\sources>bootrec /fixboot
x:/sources>bootrec /rebuildbcd

my system drive was on e:
copy e:\windows\system32\config\RegBack\* e:\windows\system32\config

Then tried
Method 4 at : http://troubleshooter.xyz/fix-automatic-repair-couldnt-repair-your-pc/

Turned off computer. At restart, F2 to change to boot from hard drive NOT USB.

Sigh of relief, tears of joy, it worked. I learned a lot I didn't know before!

Immediately, I did this www.pcworld.com/article/3154713/windows/how-to-create-and-restore-an-image-backup-in-windows-10.html, which required an external hard drive approx 100gb for what I had on my Acer laptop.

Ask a Question