Windows 10 crash, fresh install, crash again

Reaction score
This morning I awoke to a windows message that a system update had been done and I rebooted the computer.

The computer would not start and neither of the system restores would work. Got a message that the restore points were damaged. SOURCE: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps DESTINATiON: AppsStaging

Nothing would work for a fix, so I bit the bullet and did a fresh install after formatting my C: Drive.

I was in the process of reloading my programs and configuring everything when i rebooted the system. The computer would not start. The PC ran its System Start-up diagnostics and I received a message it could not repair it.

I am back to square one now.

Anyone have any ideas what would/could cause this ?

The System is a Lenovo All-in-one e93z running WIndows 10 Pro.

TIA

Jim

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
computer would not start
message that the restore points were damaged
I was in the process of reloading my programs and configuring everything when i rebooted the system. The computer would not start. The PC ran its System Start-up diagnostics and I received a message it could not repair it.
I think I would begin to suspect a bad hard disk drive.
IF you know the manufacturer of the hard drive you may be able to use a bootable disk utility to test it for errors.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#hitachi
Do you have a backup of all your critical data?
You may want to remove it from the computer and attach it to another working machine to see if you can secure your data.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I think I would begin to suspect a bad hard disk drive.
IF you know the manufacturer of the hard drive you may be able to use a bootable disk utility to test it for errors.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#hitachi
Do you have a backup of all your critical data?
You may want to remove it from the computer and attach it to another working machine to see if you can secure your data.
Thanks very much for your reply Trouble,
That was the first thought that came to me when it crashed after the fresh install... hard drive issues...
Will get inside the unit tomorrow and check the make of HD and go from there....
I appreciate the link to the utilities and Vid...
Jim

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a similar problem. After start up, I get a diagnosing your computer screen. Then 'automatic repair
Your pc did not start correctly'
With restart and advanced options.

Clicking in restart doesn't work, it just brings back the same message.

Advanved options and resetting my pc (keep my files option) is the only thing that works.

The problem is, I get the same issue again about two start ups later

Reaction score
I went out and purchased an SSD and installed it. It has run fine since doing so.
Afterwards, I downloaded and ran HDD diagnostic on the old hard drive and it found absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I am dumb-folded as to what the actual problem was, but happy that I have not had any more issues with the computer since installing the new drive. I'll just use the old HDD as a portable drive now as the SSD came with a case to install it in.

Ask a Question