SOLVED Windows 10 - Does not keep correct time

Reaction score
@ Norton - The clock time was identical. I tried this three different times:(1) While computer was up and running, (2) After a restart, and (3) turning off and unplugging computer, waiting about one half an hour and restarting.

@ Trouble - Well I guess I will have to replace the battery but for the life of me, I cannot see how a weak battery would cause the clock to be consistently off by three hours. I would think a bad battery would cause a random fluctuation of the clock. The computer is a Dell laptop Inspiron 17" and is three years old. Also, I cannot get my head around the fact that the clock time works perfectly with Ubuntu. I am completely at sea over this one, :(

@ ram1220 - Good thought, I did it and the clock bios is good.

Reaction score
A thought. If the new battery doesn't do the trick, go into settings - Accounts - Sync your settings. and turn it off for a test.
Not to bore. As I stated earlier, I am in a similar geographical situation as yourself.

Just to recap (The bios setting is correct)

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have just discovered that when I shut down the computer, the,"Synchronize with an Internet server", is not checked, even though I checked it prior to closing the computer.
Capture_05.PNG
Capture_03.PNG
Capture_02.PNG
Capture_01.PNG

Reaction score
As you can see, mine is off Also on mine Set time zone automatically is OFF

Reaction score
I tried a restart three more times and the "Synchronize with an Internet server", came up with a check mark in the box. So I don't know. Maybe I'll just buy a little clock and sit it next to the computer, :)

Reaction score
LOL. There are software third party clocks available, but I fear your problem may lead into further problems. Have you tried a new battery yet?

Reaction score
LOL. There are software third party clocks available, but I fear your problem may lead into further problems. Have you tried a new battery yet?
Not yet. I haven't got one so will have to see where I can get one quickly.

Reaction score
Not here in Israel. I live in Beer Sheva ans may have to take a trip to Tel Aviv to find one.

Reaction score
Not yet. I haven't got one so will have to see where I can get one quickly.
Time variation in minutes implies a battery or other hardware problems. Time variation in hours implies a time zone problem or some other defective software setting.

Reaction score
A trip to Tel Aviv Oh my! Do you not have access to an Amazon.com. or something similar? Order on line.

I can't remember if you checked the bios time is correct. Open command prompt and type "time"
it will give you the bios time setting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is a good one. The services can be flay, and not recording your changes correctly-
Type services.msc in the run, scroll down to Windows time. This is the services that syncs.On mine it is disabled.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First I have to find out where the battery is located and how to replace it. Once I determine that, I will go find the new battery.

Reaction score
Returning to posts #14 and #15. Are you certain you also removed the Ubuntu boot. As I said, I am not over familiar with Linux, but I know the boot sector can ve persistent, once installed.

Reaction score
I would have two items, first I agree with davehc since I have seen a Windows clock change times after having booted into Ubuntu.

Secondly, when you set the clock make sure you are also verifying the Time Zone because I have see one situation where either the time or the zone would change back after setting the other value.

Also, if you bios clock is staying correct, it probably isn't the battery.

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, you have most likely been there.
Try setting your clock to another time zone other than Jerusalem. There are 9 UTC+2 time zones to choose from. Athens is UTC +02 see if that makes a difference. With the exception of DST it shouldn't matter what the zone is as long as its UTC+02 for Windows time synchronization.

Reaction score
@ Saltgrass - Well I am not quite sure how to describe this, but it appears you and dacehc are correct.
1. I shut down the computer from the Windows 10 O.S. and waited a few minutes, then restarted, again into the Windows 10 O.S. Well the clock came up with the correct time.
2. I shut the computer down again and waited a few minutes and started it up with Ubuntu . The clock came up correct.
3. Same thing, starting it with Windows 10 and the clock was three hours behind.
Now for the weird stuff.
4. I started the computer up in Ubuntu.
5. Before shutting down, I manually set the clock three hours ahead. Then shut down.
6. When I started the computer with Windows 10.... yes, the clock came up with the correct time.
This is well beyond my understanding, and if anyone knows what might be happening, please let me know.
I only performed this sequence twice, with identical results. I intend to do it a few more times when I get the opportunity.

Ask a Question