Windows 10 freezing after a few minutes

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just upgraded my laptop last night from Windows 7 to 10. The freezing first occurred last night in which the mouse is still moveable, but everything else on the screen is frozen. I was able to get to the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen, however I couldn't click on any of the options as it still seemed frozen. ALT+F4 brought the shut down box but I was unable to click on anything as everything was still frozen.

I have tried booting the laptop again today and after about 2 minutes after login, the same thing happens and everything freezes except for the mouse which can only move. I tried one more time and left it on the login screen for 5 minutes, however after entering the password the laptop completely freezes again.

Has anyone got any ideas for a fix or what is going on?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
I can't help, but am having similar problem of frequent freezing of my workstation when running various applications, or during system restarts. My only recourse has been to kill the power.

Reaction score
Don't have a fix, but I have a similar problem. For no reason the screen freezes, the mouse moves although nothing can be selected. After a minute or two the screen refreshes and all works again.

Reaction score
Just did a clean install of W10 on the laptop. I began installing all the software I needed one by one and didn't run into any problems until I installed Core Temp. After installing Core Temp the exact same issue was occurring with the laptop completely freezing as I described above.

So by the looks of it, Core Temp seems to be the culprit. Not sure if it is just that one in particular or for all CPU temp monitoring software.

Reaction score
there are many causes which may lead to this Windows 10 freeze issue, such as the laptop is overcrowded or doesn't have sufficient memory. and the problem may also caused by the hardware failure. in this case, it is easy to solve with a windows operating system repair software. here is a post introducing fix laptop freezing. hope it can help you!

Reaction score
Mine kept freezing intermittently. Pulled out the WiFi card and ran a cable direct to the router, hasn't frozen since. Is a TP-LINK TL-WN751ND - Qualcomm Atheros based card.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just upgraded my laptop last night from Windows 7 to 10. The freezing first occurred last night in which the mouse is still moveable, but everything else on the screen is frozen. I was able to get to the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen, however I couldn't click on any of the options as it still seemed frozen. ALT+F4 brought the shut down box but I was unable to click on anything as everything was still frozen.

I have tried booting the laptop again today and after about 2 minutes after login, the same thing happens and everything freezes except for the mouse which can only move. I tried one more time and left it on the login screen for 5 minutes, however after entering the password the laptop completely freezes again.

Has anyone got any ideas for a fix or what is going on?

Any help would be much appreciated!

You might be able to get a clue as to what's going on by looking at your "event viewer". To get to the Event Viewer, just right click the start button and select "Event Viewer" from the drop-down list. Once in the view open "Custom Views" and finally "Administrative Events".

Now that you know how to get there, I'd suggest you wait until the screen freezes. Immediately note the exact time it happened. Once you reboot and get it going again, go to the Event Viewer and look for events that happened just prior to the freeze.

The event summaries can be a bit cryptic but they might give you some idea what is going on. By opening the event, you can usually also click on the link that says "Event Log Online Help"... Not all log events will come up with an "answer" from Microsoft... but some of them do.

One thing you might want to do is to make sure you have the latest driver installed for your display. I was getting blue-screen crashes. The event viewer seemed to indicate a problem of some kind with the display... So I had windows check for a new driver. It found one which I promptly installed.... I've not had any crashes since.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I have also had the problem. This usually happens after starting Edge or switching to internet explored. I have to do a manual reboot to recover and then don't have the problem the next day or leaving the computer off for awhile. Note that this morning I lost internet connectivity in the process. After performing a hard reboot there are no longer any questions about wanting to do a normal restart or a protected restart. It just starts up in a normal mode

Reaction score
I was having a freezing/crashing problem when I first upgraded to Win10 back in August. I posted to this thread then about what worked for me... I thought I'd give that a quick review here.

My issue turned out to be an out-of-date video driver. I know Win 10 was supposed to be "smart" enough to update all necessary drivers for us, but in my case anyway, that turned out not to be true. Once I went into the video driver settings and requested Windows to look for a more current video driver (which it did), I've had no problems.

How did I narrow it down to the video driver? (More importantly, how can you get some idea of what is causing your own freezing/crashing?) The best place to start is to go the "event viewer" and look for errors there. It's "normal" for errors to show up there even when your computer is seemingly not malfunctioning in any way. So you will need a way to sort through the multiple error messages for the ones that are related to the problem you are having.

The best way (that I know of) to do this is to jot down the exact time when a freeze/crash occurs... to the second, if possible. Then once you start your machine back up again, immediately go to "The Event Viewer" (by right-clicking the Windows start button, and selecting "Event Viewer" from the list.

Under "Administrative events", look for the red error messages that correspond to (or happened very shortly before) your freeze/crash. In my particular case the error messages seemed to be related to "something having to do with video". That's what gave me the idea to make sure I had the latest video driver. Once Windows ran the check and told me a newer driver was available, I installed it... and have had no problems since.

If a red error event closely matches the time of the freeze/crash or if the error occurred very shortly before the freeze/crash, double click on that error message to see more detail. Read through the error message detail that will open up... You can also click the link that says "Event Log Online Help". If you are lucky, you will get some idea of what's going on. (Don't be surprised if the "Online Help" comes back with something to the effect of "No further information is available on this error" ... It's worth giving it a try.)

The attached snapshot is simply of a section of my own Event Viewer from this morning. I don't seem to be experiencing any malfunction of my computer but (as usual) there always seems to be some red error messages appearing. This is why it's important to really note the time of the freeze/crash, in order for you to sort through the mess of red error messages and find the one that might give you a clue as to what is going on.

Good luck!
Dump.jpg

Reaction score
Just did a clean install of W10 on the laptop. I began installing all the software I needed one by one and didn't run into any problems until I installed Core Temp. After installing Core Temp the exact same issue was occurring with the laptop completely freezing as I described above.

So by the looks of it, Core Temp seems to be the culprit. Not sure if it is just that one in particular or for all CPU temp monitoring software.

Thank you very much RatCat, I had the same problem as you, until I read your replay, I was able to login using Safe mode, uninstalled Core temp, and everything went just fine.

Strange thing though, I had no problem with windows 10 freasing because of core temp before now.

The thing is, since i upgraded to windows 10, i was fascinated by the large number of new features; until a problem after another came flying from nowhere, and once you troubleshoot a problem and fix it (after a lot of suffering) you get another one that is even bigger than the one before it.
So i have to say, all those problems that i faced, they did REALLY change my image of windows 10.

Reaction score
Speccy has CPU core temps plus myriad additional info. It is a free download and comes with no add ons and never any spam or annoying requests to upgrade.

Reaction score
After my windows 10 Upgrade (Desktop). I also had a problem with windows freezing a few minutes after startup,while the cursor can still move for a few minutes then freezing also. Performed the "The Event Viewer" check which showed an error, then performed command prompt check: sfc/ scannow and no errors were found.

Next I did a physical hardware check. Ghrapics card, RAM & CPU and found that the heatsink paste between the CPU & the CPU heatsink dried out and was not making proper contact.
I cleaned the CPU & CPU heatsink and replaced the paste. It's been a week and I've had no further freezes on my sytem.

Reaction score
I just have the same problem with my laptop and pc.... it's happening when I surf the internet, when I'm using apps.... it's just freeze and all the time I have to kill the power and it drives me crazy.... any solution !!!!!!!:(

Reaction score
I just have the same problem with my laptop and pc.... it's happening when I surf the internet, when I'm using apps.... it's just freeze and all the time I have to kill the power and it drives me crazy.... any solution !!!!!!!:(

You have not included enough information to venture an educated guess on what issue (or issues) you are having. Let's start with your "system information:
1. Right click the window's start icon (lower-left of home screen).
You be able to find "System Information" as a choice. Click on it to open it.
Copy and paste all that info into the thread window. (This will tell others exactly which computer you are using, important operating system information, and other things. Sometimes problems/solutions are very specific to certain computers and their operating systems, so providing this information is essential for others to try to help you.)

2. It's also important to find and report any system errors that happen at the exact moment of the crash/freeze.
To do this, make note of the exact time when the failure happens. Once you get your computer restarted, immediately open the "Event Viewer". (You can find it by right-clicking the Windows-start icon, then selecting "Event Viewer" from the menu choices.)

Look for an entry (or entries) that happen at the exact time you wrote down (or just a few seconds before) the crash. These entries will begin with an exclamation point enclosed in a red circle, immediately followed by "error".

If there is more than one error msg entry within just a few seconds, the first one (chronologically speaking) will probably be the most helpful, as that event quite often triggers the next ones.

Begin with this first one. Double click on it to see details of the event. The reporting messages are often techno-cryptic in nature (difficult for a casual user to understand), but you never know. You might find the cause right there in (almost) understandable English.

If you can't understand it, copy/paste the message into your next thread post (being very clear where it came from.)

Once the error message is open, you will see a link toward the bottom of the window that says "More Information: Event Log Online Help" and includes a web-link to get to it. Never in the history of mankind (that I know of) has this link been of any help... but hope runs eternal. You might as well give it a try.

3. So gather that information I just mentioned and (clearly stating what you are posting and where you got it) post it to your next thread entry.

The more information you can provided, the more likely someone will be familiar with your issue and can suggest an action or actions to take next.

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm no expert, but I had the same problem and I know some solutions might work for some and not for others. After 2 attempts of refreshing windows 10 and 1 complete reset and installing windows 10 from scratch, I was ready to pull my hair out and had my kids in tears threatening to never inatall a game on the pc ever again, cause "something is making the pc hang up"... I started fresh and decided to install just the essential stuff and check the next day if the pc freezes again. No specific reason for waiting a day, just sick of staring at the screen. After installing just the nvidia driver, anti virus software and Java it happened again. I realized that something on startup must be doing this, so I disabled the Java update on startup (windows button + R - type "msconfig" - startup - startup manager - click on Java update and disable)... And it worked! Hope this helps someone out there.

Reaction score
THIS WORKED FOR ME: SWITCH TO HIGH POWER MODE [in control panel power options] (TURNS OFF PCI LINK MANAGMENT). then make sure all the other power modes have PCI link managemnet turned off as well

Reaction score
Well, I ploughed through the dozen or so steps to reach the Registry item "Change the value of the MSISupported key from “1” to “0”. I chickened out. I might as well be asked to do "aorta > mitral valve > anterior attachment > move antero-laterally by 5 mm", then boot myself up a steep hill! Imagine what one tiny mistake to a Registry setting could do!

Surely MS should post a clickable routine to do this, as I have seen elsewhere for other fixes.

If the freezing bug is not fixed soonish I will take the machine and the KB to my computer shop for the patch to be done.

Thanks.

Ask a Question