Windows 10 freezing after a few minutes

Reaction score
Had this problem too and found a solution that worked for me.

I'm a designer in the music scene so I use heavy apps like Adobe CS. Went into Safe Mode, opened Task Manager>>Startup then discovered there were tons of unnecessary plugins from different apps that were programmed to run automatically upon login in Windows. This was probably why logging in wasn't a problem and the unstable system starts when these startup plugins from 3rd party apps were run. It could even be worse when triggered in sleep mode.

I simple disabled those that I know I don't need (iTunes helper, Apple Bonjour, Spotify autolaunch thing, Adobe online help, Hotmail shit, browser extensions, lots of notifs and more). Rebooted and had no trouble logging in and system was smooth, lightning fast even.

Still testing and hoping not to run into any more performance issues. But so far so good.

Reaction score
I created an account here just so that I could log in and say THANK YOU!! My Sony VAIO laptop which has been an underperforming PIG since I got it, for the last couple of days would only run for a few minutes and then "Windows" stops responding with disk usage always at 100%. Utterly unusable. Spent most of the morning trying to fix it and then found your suggestion. It's now a SCREAMING ROCKET!! Thanks!

Reaction score
I found out that the m.2 drive that I installed windows onto is the cause. I installed windows on a different hard drive and found that whenever I transferred files onto the original m.2 drive it would stick at 100% usage. This means that that original drive which was a m.2 ssd no longer worked until restart, but windows still worked on the second hard drive.

Reaction score
Had this exact problem. W10 would just "stop working" with the screen still up and mouse able to be moved but couldn't close down progs or open start menu or anything it just fishbowled. Happened occasionally,
Maybe once every couple of weekends and then started happening more often, several times a day. Started finding it was taking files with it too from the HD when it froze, creating all sorts of probs in chkdsk like broken links and orphaned files. Couldn't open some wedding pics anymore which was a worry! (Of course I have them backed up in 2 different address locations across 3 types of media USB, CDrom and HD I value my marriage)

Rarely rebooted this pc it usually stays on but noticed on reboot it was taking longer to POST past the graphics card. Turned out the graphics card was slowly failing (probably GC memory) and taking the system down with it a new $79 nvidia 710 GC slotted in and ...Not a single freeze since. Hope this helps.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Turned out the graphics card was slowly failing (probably GC memory) and taking the system down with it a new $79 nvidia 710 GC slotted in and ...Not a single freeze since. Hope this helps.
Hello Blackout and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question