Windows 10 Keyboard Layout Selection No mouse or keyboard

Reaction score
Okay, so I take blame for accidentally messing up my Windows 10. My NVIDIA graphics card wasn't working and wasn't letting me install my drivers. Well that aside, now that I installed older Drivers Windows 10 registers something horribly wrong. It wants to do a system repair. Okay, good, fine with me. But then when it gets to the page for me to select a keyboard layout, I have no mouse and my keyboard doesn't work either.

Anytime I press a button on them their backlights turn on, but then turn back off when I don't do anything with them.

Please note, I can't afford to get a new OS, I have no DVD Drive so I definitely can't do anything that requires a disk.

What do I do?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are your input devices unique? Are they wireless? Have you tried attempting to use a generic USB wired keyboard?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Anytime I press a button on them their backlights turn on, but then turn back off when I don't do anything with them.
I assumed that since they had a backlight feature (most generic keyboards do not, unless you're talking about numlock or capslock). that they were in someway unique and might require a driver or software package to work properly.
Sorry, I have nothing further, except....
Sometimes, on older computers, in the BIOS, USB Legacy Support is not "ON" by default. It'd have to be a pretty old system for that to factor into the equation though.

Reaction score
So your PC is basically a brick then. Stuck in system repair with no mouse or kb. Can you reboot ( after a hard shutdown) and get into the BIOS by holding whichever key that your PC needs? Do you have any way to get an OS on a USB stick? I hope that you could borrow from your local 12 year old geek a copy of W10 on a USB and after going in to the BIOS to put boot from USB as the first device get back on the air, unactivated for sure, but alive.

Another thing to try. If your pc has integrated videoa as well as the Nvidia card remove the card and use the integrated video and see if it comes back alive.

Reaction score
I tried using a normal USB mouse, that didn't work. As for the USB thing, sadly I don't have any USB drives and neither does my mom or her gf.

Reaction score
Okay, so update. I managed to get it to run on on board graphics and am now running Windows 7 again, however, now everytime I try to start the computer it gives me a blue screen that says it has to shut down to prevent damage to my computer. I am able to start it in safemode with networking, but other than that I'm not even sure what's causing the issue.

Reaction score
So your PC is basically a brick then. Stuck in system repair with no mouse or kb. Can you reboot ( after a hard shutdown) and get into the BIOS by holding whichever key that your PC needs? Do you have any way to get an OS on a USB stick? I hope that you could borrow from your local 12 year old geek a copy of W10 on a USB and after going in to the BIOS to put boot from USB as the first device get back on the air, unactivated for sure, but alive.

Another thing to try. If your pc has integrated videoa as well as the Nvidia card remove the card and use the integrated video and see if it comes back alive.

Ask a Question