Windows 10 Mail App and pop3 email account

Reaction score
To anyone that can help:

Just for fun, I am trying to set up my pop3 email account on the application called Mail in Windows 10. I have succeeded in having my MSN and Gmail accounts working in the application, but when attempting to set up my pop3 mail, it will show a triangle with an exclamation point inside it. When I click on it, it opens up an Attention Required with a User Name and Password. Each time I type in the password for the pop3 email account, it still fails to sign on and says "Your [provider] account settings are out-of-date."

I have also tried adding the account under settings>accounts>your email and accounts, and it still says attention required. when I click on manage, the password is too long for it to be the account password. I try retyping in the account password and saving it but it still changes.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but if someone could give me a hand with setting it up, that would be great. I would post pictures, but for some reason, the post doesn't like the URL for the image. If you do need pictures, please let me know how to post pictures from my computer to this post so you can see.

Hotwire Cannon

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
To post an image you can simply use the native Windows Snipping tool and then the upload a file button next to Post Reply.
As far as the Mail App, sorry I can't help you. I use Microsoft Outlook win32 application from the office suite for my mail client.

Reaction score
I don't use the Mail app either but I did play with it some time ago. Mine worked OK but I did not like the User Interface for the app.

The one thing I seem to remember is the Pop accounts were added from a different section and not handled like an IMAP type account. You actual pop accounts may or may not have some type of verification required. Perhaps only on the inbound or outbound but checking those account settings on a utility that works correctly may help.

So pop account providers may also change their settings, such as RoadRunner did some months ago. You might go to the source to see if that is a possibility, even though your current settings are working in the other utility.

Reaction score
To post an image you can simply use the native Windows Snipping tool and then the upload a file button next to Post Reply.
As far as the Mail App, sorry I can't help you. I use Microsoft Outlook win32 application from the office suite for my mail client.

Thanks for letting me know.

Reaction score
I don't use the Mail app either but I did play with it some time ago. Mine worked OK but I did not like the User Interface for the app.

The one thing I seem to remember is the Pop accounts were added from a different section and not handled like an IMAP type account. You actual pop accounts may or may not have some type of verification required. Perhaps only on the inbound or outbound but checking those account settings on a utility that works correctly may help.

So pop account providers may also change their settings, such as RoadRunner did some months ago. You might go to the source to see if that is a possibility, even though your current settings are working in the other utility.

Like I said, it's just for fun but I currently don't have plans to use it for everyday use.

I added my pop account under advanced for account type and that was where it was able to add but not work at all. this is what I get when I try clicking the triangle next to the account:

Capture.JPG

Of course, at the top would be the email account. every time I type the password, it still has a problem and gives the same thing in a never ending loop.

Reaction score
Could it be the username? Mine (Imap, but I think pop is the same) needs "(e-mail address removed)"

Alan

Reaction score
I am also not a user. But I have just tried it, with both an outlook account and an Email account. Both were successful.

Did you choose the correct serving function?
Here:

Capture1.JPG

I want to set up my outlook account. I assumed this is a pop3 account and get this:

Capture2.JPG

I returned to the previous page, and this time, correctly, I chose the outlook account. I got this

Capture3.JPG

All I did then was sign in.
Also did this with my email account.
Was there not a message at the bottom of that page, requesting that you set up the account manually?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think the email I want to set up is an outlook account. Here are the steps I did:

Capture2.JPG

I first tried using the Other Account and this is what I got:

POP Account.JPG

I tried signing in with the email and password but at the bottom I get a warning:

Capture3.JPG

If I attempt to do so two or three times, I then get the advanced setup window and go through that:

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

I fill everything out according to the information I have:

Capture6.JPG

but after this, I get the warning and the account needs attention:

Capture7.JPG

I hope this helps in the problem I'm having.

Alan Sh: I checked on my account and for incoming it lists the server as pop3.provider.com and the outgoing as smtp.provider.com. is it wrong to assume it is automatically a pop3 account with that information?

Hotwire Cannon

Reaction score
Hotwire,

By account, I mean that for example, my account name could be (and this is a dummy one)

"(e-mail address removed)"

Sometimes people only put "alan.sh" - and the provider won't accept that.

Alan

Ask a Question