Windows 10 Mail, can't send messages in Drafts

Reaction score
I'm using the Mail app in Windows 10. When a message fails to send, it puts it in the Drafts folder. When I open the e-mail, there seems to be no way of re-sending it. There is no Send button, like there is if you create a new mail. The only way I have found so far is to forward the mail, reenter the To address, delete the old e-mail header, delete the FW: from the subject, THEN you can send it. How do I more easily resend e-mails that failed to send?

Thank you - Rowan

Reaction score
Click on it and drag it back to the new mail box - then send it

Reaction score
I'm using the Mail app in Windows 10. When a message fails to send, it puts it in the Drafts folder. When I open the e-mail, there seems to be no way of re-sending it. There is no Send button, like there is if you create a new mail. The only way I have found so far is to forward the mail, reenter the To address, delete the old e-mail header, delete the FW: from the subject, THEN you can send it. How do I more easily resend e-mails that failed to send?

Thank you - Rowan
I have Win 10 and that happens with MS Outlook too. No way to send a message from draft folder and like you said....have to forward the mail and edit the header info. I never have been able to get a good explanation of this.

There are threads about it in MS and some MS so called experts insist its the email address fault or way the acct is set up but that is just not true. Finally found 'workaround' from MS expert and guess what? This will look VERY familiar.
=====================

Given the situation, here are two workarounds which might be helpful to you:
1. Click Reply or Forward in the draft email each time you’d like to use the draft and remove the Re: or FW:, then you can see the send button and edit the body of the draft message.
2. You can also create a new message, copy all the contents in the original draft email and paste them into the new email, then save the new email as a new draft. The new draft can also be edited or sent based on my test.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Rowan

Out of interest are you experiencing this issue when sending messages via a Gmail Account?

I've noticed this problem myself when using both Windows 11 & 10. Mostly this issue happens with my Gmail account and the solution is not an easy one. Repairing the Mail app always fails to resolve this issue, as does uninstalling and reinstalling it. To be honest I've raised so many reports with Microsoft about the various issues with the Mail app that I think it fair to say it's still an unfinished project. I read a long time ago that the app was originally designed for mobile users hence why it's not so feature-rich and this has been criticised by many users of the desktop product. Below is a list of issues I sometimes experience and have done so for quite some time.

1. Mail app often reports a problem with one of my accounts, usually the Gmail one!
2. Sent messages sometimes appear twice in the 'Conversation View' of my inbox - one message will often appear corrupted and capitalized.
3. Draught messages cannot be sent (as you mentioned).
4. Windows Dark Theme sometimes reverts to the default scheme when typing an email.
5. Windows Mail sometimes quits unexpectedly whilst typing an email.

I'm sure there are more issues, but I don't remember them all. With that said however most of these are extremely rare events these days. My situation has certainly improved since installing Windows 11. I have run the Windows command line tool 'sfc /scannow ' most times when these issues arise but to no avail. Often it seems the problems can be temporarily resolved by removing the mail account and then adding it back again though this might not be for everyone and it really depends on whether you're using a POP3 account or IMAP. I find it better to use IMAP if you want your emails to be restored from the server.

Probably not much help to you sadly, but you're not alone. These things are sent to try our patience and no doubt teach us new tricks.

Reaction score
I have noticed that I cannot send any emails whilst my VPN is on, it automatically puts them in the Drafts Folder.

Ask a Question