Windows 10 Pro Back and Restore Problem

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Pro on Drive 0. I have Windows 10 Pro on Drive 2. If I use backup and restore on Windows 7 Pro the Windows 7 check box is checked and greyed out. But I can uncheck Windows 10 so it only does an image of Windows 7. The problem is when I run back and restore from Windows 10 Pro Both check boxes are checked and greyed out. So I can't run just Windows 10 image. Any Help?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just a guess, but perhaps when you setup your dual boot originally.....
IF the Windows 7 drive was in the computer at the time, it is likely that the boot configuration files needed to boot Windows 10 were added to the BCD (system reserved partition) on the Windows 7 drive and as a consequence are considered necessary as part of a system image for the Windows 10 Backup.
You may find it easier if not actually better overall to use a third party solution to image your drives.
There are multiple offerings, some free, others paid for / commercial versions that provide more robust methods of creating disk and or partition images targeting just what you want to image and nothing else.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
When I installed Windows 10 I made sure that the Windows 7 drive was unplugged to check them separate.

Ask a Question