Windows 10 problems after update

Reaction score
I just restarted my Lenovo laptop after an update to Windows 10 (not the initial upgrade to Windows 10 but a system update), and now I have some problems. I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this, so I'll just list some of the problems I've been experiencing:

-- After the update and computer restart initially, Windows would not log in to my account after entering my password. It got stuck on the "Welcome" screen and I was forced to do a hard reboot.

-- Similarly, I now cannot get my computer to restart without requiring a hard reboot. It gets stuck on the "Restarting" screen.

-- Google Chrome will not open any web pages.

-- Microsoft Edge will open the most recent page I was at, but I cannot go to any other. Also, Edge will not close once opened.

-- My Dropbox application, which usually opens on its own at restart, will not do so.

-- I cannot open the task manager.

I've checked to see if any unexpected malware has been installed in my programs, but I do not see anything. Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose system
in the left column choose system protection
Click the system restore button
Click Next
Check the box that says "Show more restore points"
Select one before the update and perform a system restore to that point in time.
Failing that start the computer in safe mode and perform a system restore from there.
Failing that start the computer using the installation media and perform a system restore from there.

Ask a Question