SOLVED Windows 10 running very slow

Reaction score
It says ST3500413AS ATA Device and when I look that up on the web, it says it is a Seagate SATA hard drive. It is a DELL desktop.

Reaction score
The computer is a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF desktop running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
Ok, if it’s a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF then you must be using its OEM Win-7 Pro and you definitely have a “spinner HDD” as you’re caption showed in “Disk Manager” which was a boot drive of “500GB at Drive 0” and a 1TB slave at “Disk 1”. Do what I suggested before in my previous post and replace the drive with an SSD.

I upgrade/update allot of these older laptops and desktops and the Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF has a vintage Intel Core i5 (3rd Gen) 3470and uses its integrated graphics of a HD 2500 (which is low spec for todays usage) it has either 2 GB or 4 GB PC3-12800 RAM which is pretty LOW capacity for todays intricate graphics and applications and as a matter of a fact (if you haven’t updated the RAM to at least 4GB) then I’m very surprised that this works on 2GB but on 4GB it must be very slow. This computers came OEM with a “spinner HDD” at a spindle speed 7200 rpm and not SSD’s. Unless you have upgraded to an SSD? The Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF is a typical 2012-13 desktop and its very low spec and SLOW for today’s intricate web browsing and software.

If you want to keep this computer I would upgrade everything on it, as then you could even run Win-10 current version, please note that I do this as a business and I’m not just talking nonsense, take it or leave it? I would upgrade or get a totally new computer, otherwise you are wasting your time using this computer as it must be so slow that any task must take you at least 1000% longer than the current computers of today. These are my suggestions:

CPU – upgrade its LGA1155 Socket i5-3470 to the LGA1155 Socket Core i7-3770 (this will give you 30% to 40% better relative performance than your OEM CPU.

RAM – upgrade the 2GB or 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM to 8GB PC3-12800 or and even PC3-14900 (as this will work) into its 2x RAM slots.

HDD - get an SSD 2, 5 inch SATA 6GB/sec as your boot drive, I prefer Samsung’s 2.5 inch SSD’s as they are the best, quickest and are supported by the best software. Btw you can keep your 1TB as a slave drive and also you can use your 500GB boot drive as an external HDD and a backup drive or spare.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not using OEM Win-7 Pro. It was a refurbished machine purchased in April 2018 and it came with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. And it has a Seagate SATA hard drive as mentioned above. So why do you say it definitely have a “spinner HDD”?

Reaction score
I am not using OEM Win-7 Pro. It was a refurbished machine purchased in April 2018 and it came with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. And it has a Seagate SATA hard drive as mentioned above. So why do you say it definitely have a “spinner HDD”?
Have a look at the caption below and this link on the specs of the : Seagate Desktop HDD ST3500413AS - hard drive - 500 GB - SATA 6Gb/s Specs & Prices - CNET on the Seagate ST3500413AS 3.5" ATA Device, its definitely a spinner HDD, see the disk inside the casing below, that is definitely a spinner HDD and not an SSD drive, as SSD drives are fully electronic and not mechanical, simple. Also using Win-10 puts even more of a strain on your computer/components with the OEM specs that the Dell comes with, unless, its been upgraded as I've shown above then, it will handle Win-10 Pro (which is more demanding on components) to rum well and hassel free, its a simple equation as you can't have low spec components especially graphics that the Dell has integrated into its CPU and HDD and low RAM to run high demanding applications of today.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had the problems of a slow computer for several days before I posted on this forum. Naturally once I did post, I haven't had any problems since. (My husband thinks it was because I had too many internet windows and other apps open at the same time.) Anyway, at this point since I no longer have the problem, there doesn't seem to be any reason to continue this thread. I DO appreciate all the advice and help and I have certainly learned a lot, so thank you.

Reaction score
Hi Sue,

glad you are getting along nicely, please mark the thread as solved if you intend to not pursue it further so it helps others. :)

Ask a Question