SOLVED Windows 10 Safe Mode

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm just about to add an article to the site which explains how to get your PC to boot in to safe mode, however this isn't as straightforward as previous versions of Windows where pressing a function key on boot will bring up the options menu.

Am I missing something here or is there an easy way of booting in to safe mode without first booting in to a working Windows 10 installation (using the recovery options, etc...)? Is the only way other than that to use rescue media or waiting for 2 consecutive failed boots?

Seems a shame if the function key method has disappeared.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Am I missing something here
Nope, I think you've got it.
It's been a problem since Windows 8 and the following is what I've used in the past to overcome the issue.
To add safe mode with networking to your boot menu in advance (sort of just in case.
http://www.maketecheasier.com/add-safe-mode-to-the-windows-8-boot-menu

And probably, what you maybe alluding to above

Boot into the Windows 8 Recovery Environment either by using a Recovery Disk that you've made, or the original Installation Media.

Choose Repair, Advanced Troubleshooting, Command Prompt and type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

reboot your PC and tap the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.

Now to return your boot menu to normal
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Neither of which have I had time to test in Windows 10

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, I'll check that article out now :).

Reaction score
If I may............... Try this method. It works for me.
*** I have dual boot installed ****

Open cmd ( admin mode is not needed ) > enter
shutdown.exe/r/o
Enter.
The above action is to be done only once.
From then on, one can access Safe Mode by.........
assuming computer is shut down > turn power back on >
at the bottom, select Change defaults or choose other options > Choose other options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings > Restart > safe mode options should appear.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nice tip david
Just tried it on my install of Windows 10 TP and it worked for that reboot (/r) however;
After proceeding into Wndows 10 and then shutting it down completely using normal click shut down, upon a cold restart I did not see the option to troubleshoot again.
Not sure if you are experiencing something different because you already have a multi-boot menu being displayed as a result of your dual booting two OSs, but on my discreet, stand alone install it only worked the one time for that reboot that the command executes

Reaction score
By the way, does Shift + F8 keys work upon cold restart ?

Some said one has to do it a few times before it works.
It does not for me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
By the way, does Shift + F8 keys work upon cold restart ?
Nope... not that I have seen or have ever been able to get to work.
I've tried any number of suggested key combinations with the F8 key and none seem to work for me unless I do the bcdedit thingy and then you get the old style black screen boot menu (legacy) when you press F8.
It's pretty easy to turn it on and off.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And in the interest of follow up.
I just booted to the Win 10 RE (from the install media).
Performed the BCDedit command I mentioned above, exited and rebooted.... pressed F8 (nothing else) and the legacy boot menu showed up as expected.
Selected Safe Mode with Networking and everything seems to be fine.

I hope this will not be deprecated in future releases. Without this method, I'm not sure how you would get a non-bootable machine into safe mode,
I've seen too many instances where the much touted fail over troubleshooter didn't seem to realize that the machine was not booting correctly.

Reaction score
All I know is I screwed up on my first install of Windows 10 by installing Aero for Win8.1. The version was incompatible and I could no longer control Windows. I tried several times to get into Safe Mode by pressing F8, which I had assumed wouldn't work from topics of its removal in Win8. Without being able to get into Safe Mode, I had no option but to reinstall Windows. This is a big let down to me, and a deciding factor of whether to support Windows. Not being able to get into Safe Mode easily enough without having a working copy Windows, defeats the point in having Safe Mode.

Perhaps MS concern was wrapped around issues of the following topic. Still yet there is no point in having Safe Mode if you can't get to it when needed.
https://www.w7forums.com/threads/how-to-password-protect-safe-mode.19075/

Reaction score
As it turns out, the unexpected and pleasant surprise of dual booting is the ability to access Safe Mode either on clicking Restart button or on cold restart, with relative ease.

Last edited:

Ask a Question