Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
9860 Available
Coming by way of Windows Update
If you want it sooner then go to
PC Setting->Recovery->Preview Builds
Commence the download.
Good luck, mine is in progress currently.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry David, I merged our two threads evidently we are on the same path.
Looks like you posted as I was preparing mine. I checked when I started and no one had mentioned it yet.
Great minds and all that. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So how's your update / upgrade going. I think I'm on my second reboot as of now.
Wish I could grab this as an ISO and do a clean install rather than the update process but I guess we just have to go with the flow for now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If your experience is similar to mine, it'll do about 3 reboots, one after the initial install, one after "getting devices ready", and another after configuring "PC Settings" then there is a very long process of "Setting up a few more things",
That's where I'm at now, wait for the desktop or yet another reboot.

Reaction score
Installation completed. 48 min to download, 80 min to install.

IE is running weird.
I cannot sign in to this forum.
Words are scrambled or missing. see my screenshot below.......

Image 3.png

Reaction score
I can sign in now but in a strange manner.
I cannot see the words I am typing, not in sign in, not in this reply.
That is what we call "ghost " writer.

P.S. my Windows Defender was shut off. Clicking at Restart Now button won't do. Had to go to services.msc to start it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting, I'll check for similar events happening.
Running /restorehealth currently and after a reboot will check sfc /scannow
Hoping that maybe they fixed that in this newest build.
Also noted that there was a 5.6 MB update waiting in windows update after I installed this latest build.

Reaction score
RE : sfc issue.
Same old baloney. See screenshot at the end.

RE : my IE issue.( words scrambled or missing etc ).
Maybe an coincidence, but the issue was gone after installing update KB3008956.
P.S. That was the only update offered to me.

Image 2.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got it installed. It didn't show up in my Windows Update so I used the settings option. Didn't much care for that option because it didn't show a download or update status window with a bar graph and percentage complete. Other than the circle of dots going round and round there was no indication anything was happening. After it went through all the setup routines and rebooted the system seemed to hang up on my lock screen picture. There was no cursor and nothing happened. I finally used the reset button and it rebooted normally. However on logging in nothing happened for a long time and I was just about to push the reset button again when a screen popped up configuring windows. I also found a 5.6MB update in the Windows Update. Everything appears to be operating normally now. SFC still found a bunch of unrepairable errors though so I guess there was no fix there.

Edit: Internet Explorer is operating normally and Windows Defender is turned on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had my preview builds settings to check and install in the middle of the night. I thought no more about it, but, when I opened up this morning, I had a feeling something had gone wrong. I am using a dual boot on this machine, and had Windows 8 as the default. There was a message waiting that the computer needed to reboot. I did this and it then said "installing. Finally got to "Setting up a few more things". I thought something had gone wrong at that stage, as this went on for about five minutes. But then it rebooted and the usual coloured screens etc. Only thing I have not investigated so far, is that I now have two pictures (of myself) on my single login. They might go away on the next reboot..

Reaction score
Regarding the 2 glitches I posted here, i. e. Windows Defender disabled and missing words from the websites using IE.......
Smae issues were reported in Technet Win 10 TP forum.
A relief to know it was not because of my computer.

Reaction score
I've always been curious why some computers will have a problem with an update and others don't. I can understand a hardware or software incompatibility that might exist on one machine and not another but in David's case why would his Windows Defender be disabled and mine wasn't? No idea why IE is glitched and mine is working OK. So far I haven't run into any speed bumps with the new build.

Reaction score
In many cases it is because users disregard the advice and warnings when installing something new - in particular, a part finished OS. If you tweak and change default items, it can lead to problems with an update. The update can, in some cases, be the MS improvement for just that feature you have hacked, and it leads to confliction.
But, with Defender, my reasoning leads me to think that, if you have a third party antivirus program running, it again takes precedence after the update, and disables the defender - Just a thought.

Reaction score
I don't think that applies to my computer.
The only tweak I did was to change Windows Update from Auto to Manual in build 9841 and it was nullified after installing build 9860.
I do not have 3rd party AV except free edition of Malwarebytes which only runs on demand.

Reaction score
This is a rather odd one. I had a notice from Windows Feedback pop up in the notification tray asking if drag and drop had worked as expected. I didn't pursue it and a few minutes later after checking that drag and drop was working as expected I opened the feedback app. This is what appeared when it opened. Looks like Microsoft is, indeed watching what we are doing. Notice the line showing Windows 10 Forums. If I click on it it takes me to a new window inviting me to send feedback about the forum. If I click on any of the other lines it opens a new window inviting me to send feedback about that subject. Also it did show my complete email address at Outlook.

Edit: Decided to double check so opened Facebook. Went back to the Feedback app and sure enough there was a new line inviting me to provide feedback on Facebook. The Feedback app is apparently recording out web surfing.

feedbackimage.jpg

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
same problem. Its weird. Restarting now to see if problem still there
Make sure you check for windows updates, some of the post install unusual behavior can be remedied by installing a pending update (or two or three).

Ask a Question