Windows 10 TP New Build - 9860

Reaction score
Make sure you check for windows updates, some of the post install unusual behavior can be remedied by installing a pending update (or two or three).

you are right. Two updates waiting. Everything seems to work ok now

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.... thanks for letting us know.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
9879 available now through PC Settings and I imagine automagically if you're the patient type.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just finishing up currently and it seems to be taking its' own sweet time.
Did you check PC Settings, Recovery, New Builds?
That's from memory as my 10 machine is currently "Applying PC Settings" so

Reaction score
Looking in PC Settings/Update and Recovery/Preview Builds/Check Now For New Preview Build

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just got mine back and yes that should be the right place.
One hour and 21 minutes from start of download to return of desktop. Not fast, but not too terrible considering my hardware.
9879.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have yours set to "fast" or "slow".
I read something somewhere about those set to slow would be available later, maybe changing that might help.
I really don't know.

EDIT: Next to last paragraph here they mention something about "slow ring" not sure what that means but it may pertain to what I mentioned above.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-will-issue-isos-windows-10-build-9879-soon

Reaction score
That was it. Changed from slow to fast and it immediately started downloading the update.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
One mystery solved at least. Glad to hear you're proceeding now.
Good luck..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
WOW..... that's excellent.
You must have some great hardware as well as a very good internet connection

Reaction score
1hr20 mins; 35 mins.!! Jeez. I live in a country backwater on copper wires. Mine has been downloading through the night - so far about 2 hours and I expect, from past experience, yet another hour.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not too painful after all. As I have said in other threads, for testing I use very average laptops. This one an early i5, no ssd etc...
The whole thing, from start of download to desktop, including the restarts, took just under three hours.
My first impression was that the installation itself took quite a bit longer than expected, about 40 minutes.
I have discovered that it has sorted two particular problems )The only problems) that I had, so I am ready for off.

Reaction score
WOW..... that's excellent.
You must have some great hardware as well as a very good internet connection

I'm on a fiber optic network that was built and maintained by our local public utility district and an ISP that claims to be the fastest in the state. Download speed oftentimes is near 100 Mbps. If I connect to a fast server large files will download in the blink of an eye and slower or extremely busy servers will, of course take a bit more time. I have Windows 10 TP installed by itself on a SSD and not a lot of other programs installed with it but I don't know how much difference that makes. The actual install was pretty quick but quite a bit of time was spent with Windows setting things up and rebooting. I think the MS programmers (I guess they are called "coders" now) have done a pretty good job of making a pretty quick and easy install of an operating system. Not much input from the consumer is required.

I'm finding I don't spend a lot of time on the Windows 10 machine which is in another room. It runs so well it is like a normal OS and not a preview and there is not much gee whiz stuff to keep my interest piqued.

speedtest 25 Jan 14.jpg

Reaction score
For the record, when I refer to install time, this is from boot to a useable desktop. This includes logging in to a live account, etc. But, of course, this is on a comparative basis for me with earlier OS releases, as I go through the same procedure. for all.
Install on another, but very similar machine, took 31 minutes. Unfortunately, my machines are Dells with Nvidea NVS 3100M graphics drivers. These are not in the install package so, on arrival at the desktop, you have an almost unusable VGA display, but an update to be downloaded for the correct driver. Once again, with my connection, this adds a further 15 minutes
I have lodged it as feedback with an inclusion of the drivers, as I am sure there are quite a few Dell operators having the same problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
November Update for those of us Fast Ringers who've installed 9879.
KB3019269 available now through windows updates.
Barely 2 megs, and mostly anti-climactic, without any obvious whistles nor bells.
Keyboard lights still not working.
Oh well, maybe next month on the normal Update Tuesday
NovUpdt.PNG

Reaction score
What's with the keyboard lights Trouble? I have a lighted Logitech keyboard and the lights are working OK.

Ask a Question