Windows 10 Update Assistant Cannot Run On Windows

Reaction score
Hi Dave, it's from your link above:
https://windowsreport.com/uninstall-windows-10-update-assistant/
  • Double-click Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > UpdateOrchestrator on the left of the Task Scheduler window.
  • Turn off the UpdateAssistanceCalenderRun, UpdateAssistant and UpdateAssistantWakeupRun scheduled tasks by selecting them and clicking their Disable options.
These are the files Window says I have not got permissions to chang the permissions for.

Reaction score
Ok. Found it. But that isn't a program as such. But, if you read the instructions, you are not required to delete it, only disable it, which you should be allowed to do.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Turn off the UpdateAssistanceCalenderRun, UpdateAssistant and UpdateAssistantWakeupRun scheduled tasks by selecting them and clicking their Disable options.
Checking my Task Scheduler....
I'm not seeing either of the above three mentioned

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Me neither. But, I am out of ideas. The only, usual, fall back at this stage is a reinstall. But exploring again. very few hace had this particular problem, but an isolated solution was to disconnect you Internet connection and reboot a couple of times, then reconnect and the popup is gone. (??)
You could try the age old standard recipe:

Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
Type the following command and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthharm

It can take quite a while, maybe as much as 20 minutes, and might look as though it is stuck from time to time. Worst case it will not your computer. Best case it might clear the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK Dave...many thanks to you and Trouble for your time and effort in assisting me with this issue. You are both very kind. I didn't want to do a reinstall or a reset...it will be the second time this year I've had to do this with Windows 10, the first when I couldn't connect via my MS account because Windows 10 was saying "Microsoft.com is not accepting http connections"...which required a reinstall.....I don't seem to be lucky with Windows 10. Sometimes I'd like to go back to Windows 2.....life was a lot simpler then and everything worked. :):)

Anyway, thanks a lot to you both.....much appreciated. All the best and thanks again!

Reaction score
Hi,

I also encounter the issue, for more details, this happened after a windows insider update; A wizard screen was displayed at next startup which I skipped, and never again have seen in my life.

Reaction score
Hi Gepetto. Best, in your case, to post on the insider section for response and possible help.

Ask a Question