Windows 10 Update Assistant Cannot Run On Windows

Reaction score
This bizarre notification keeps popping up every few minutes, which is really irritating. Latest build of Win 10, but this error has survived the last three updates.

In the same message, it suggests that I update the Update Assistant to a version which runs on Windows!

I uninstalled the Update Assistant but keep getting the same error.

Does anybody have any idea how I can get rid of this annoying notification?

Many thanks!

Andy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Any chance you could take a screenshot of the popup and upload it here please?

Reaction score
Hi Ian, thanks for your reply. Yes, next time it rears its irritating head, I'll get a screenshot.

Much appreciated

Andy

Reaction score
Here you go. The last three occurrences.

Attachments

• Notification.png
    Notification.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 469

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi Ian, no joy I'm afraid. I have nothing in Startup. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Assistant three times and it makes no difference. I've hunted through the registry in case there's a corrupt key, but cannot find anything. I still get the notification. Do you perchance have any other ideas?

Many thanks!

Andy.

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts!
See if you have a folder in the Windows folder, with that nane (Windows Update assistant) If so, move it somehwere-Dont delete it yet.
Also, have look through the task manager running processes, and , if you se any associted programs, disable them.

Reaction score
Hi Dave, thanks - much appreciated! Funnily enough, I do have a folder in Windows called "Update Assistant" (see attached). I think, though, that was created when I uninstalled the Assistant and downloaded it again - in other words, I don't think the folder was there when the problem started.

I don't see any related processes in task manager though. Cheers!

Andy.

Attachments

• WUA.png
    WUA.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok. You decision, but, I eould both both of those to a temp folder. I dont have either, and have no update problems,

Reaction score
I've actually deleted the folder and am still getting the notification, so I guess it wasn't related to the problem. Thanks Dave.

Reaction score
Hi both. Trouble - thanks, but I'd already found that page - no joy.
Dave - looks more promising. However, when I try to disable the Assistant options you listed, it tells me I don't have permissions, even though I'm using an Admin account and running Task scheduler as Adminstrator!

Reaction score
Right. Here we go. You can get permissions through a tortuous manual process, but, for a better life - lol - you can run this program. One part is to enable, the other to disable. After you have run it (accept the questions) you can right click files and folders and you will see the option to take ownership. Doesn't always work with one or two system files, burt should work with what you need.

Attachments

• Add Take Ownership to Context menu.reg
    824 bytes · Views: 357
  • Remove Take Ownership from Context Menu (Default).reg
    578 bytes · Views: 327
Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave, I am very, very grateful for your help and your time. I've added the "Add" registry key but the option is not appearing on the context menu. I am right-clicking on the options in the Update Orchestrator you listed above. Do you think it will appear after a restart? Many thanks.

Reaction score
It should appear immediately. But, Maybe I am pursuing the wrong thing here. What is the "Update Orchestrator" you say I have listed?

Ask a Question