Windows 10 wants a password, not a PIN

Reaction score
Hi, just joined as I've royally screwed my daughters computer on her birthday. I was trying to speed it up before installing a new game as it runs really slowly, with the CPU at 100% when doing nothing at all really. I'd already disabled all the start up items, and found an article suggesting I use MSCONFIG to disable all the Microsoft items.
Now when I have restarted the computer it's asking for a password (which we don't know) and not the usual PIN. I've tried the Microsoft password reset, but the computer cannot connect to the internet so I don't think this works. The forgot my password link on the login screen doesn't work. There are no options to change from a password back to a pin. There is only 1 login, no administrator option. The BIOS options are unfamiliar.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
. I'd already disabled all the start up items,

That sounds dangerous. With some of my systems, that could disable some of my hardware.

and found an article suggesting I use MSCONFIG to disable all the Microsoft items.

I tried that on one of my Home systems, and it rebooted asking for a pin at the log in screen. Doesn't seem like that is the problem.

Your best bet would be to connect to the internet and go through the lost password routine. As a last resort, there are programs available to kill the password entirely. (Google "Delete password in Windows 10" or similar).

Reaction score
Now when I have restarted the computer it's asking for a password (which we don't know) and not the usual PIN. I've tried the Microsoft password reset, but the computer cannot connect to the internet so I don't think this works. The forgot my password link on the login screen doesn't work. There are no options to change from a password back to a pin.
The PIN is tied to the password, have to set up the Password first then add the PIN.

Reaction score
Yes I believe someone had to use a password to set up the Hello for using a PIN that is the password that you need should be an MS Account
CPU running at 100% is an issue by itself you may solve it by repairing your OS using DISM tools once you get back into the system. Turning things off is not the answer its much more serious than that. You have system issues causing that or its a hardware issue

Reaction score
Password remembered, problem solved. So wound up by having broken it the very obvious (to me) password hid itself for a while in the depths of my mind. Thanks all.

Ask a Question