Windows 10 will not connect to the internet at all - via wifi or ethernet

Reaction score
I cant seem to keep the wifi connected on the windows 10 laptop I have. It was not an upgrade from windows 7. It was a new laptop bought in Aug 2015 with windows 10 already installed. The wifi worked perfectly up until about three or four weeks ago. Since then I have trouble connecting to the internet. Sometimes does but most of the time will not.

All other devices in the house can connect wirelessly. So its not the ISP going down.

I am able to see the wifi connected but just unable to connect to the internet. Run trouble shooter and it says “one or more network protocals are missing”.

Upgraded the wifi card software drivers from the Intel website. Uninstalled the drivers reinstalled the software. still no internet via wifi.

I am also unable to connect via Ethernet cable. I have tried the cable in the windows 7 machine and it works fine.

This led me to thinking my Wifi card had gone bad. However, and here is the strange thing !! I can connect to the internet wirelessly using my neighbours connection across the street.

This led me to thinking it was a router problem. I am using TP Link TD W9980. However, if it was a router problem how come all other devices can connect via wifi and the Win 10 machine cannot??

I checked inside the router and I can see my win 10 machine is assigned an IP address. (dynamic IP address by the way)

Did ipconfig / renew - still no internet via wifi.

Rolled back with system restore – still no internet via wifi.

Repaired and did back up of Windows 10 - still no internet via wifi.

Searched on google but I am now at a loss as to what could be causing the machine the windows 10 machine not connect to the internet when my spare windows 7 laptop can ?

Its almost as if something is blocking the win 10 machine access to the net. I then began to think it was Avast firewall blocking the connection to the internet so I disabled it. Still wont connect niether by wifi or Ethernet.

I am at total loss of what else to try so any ideas would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Millie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I then began to think it was Avast firewall blocking the connection to the internet so I disabled it
Unfortunately in many instances you cannot simply disable a security suite component and you often will need to uninstall the product completely, followed by the vendor specific, proprietary removal tool......
https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
To remove all remnants.
Give that a go and see if you have any better luck. Just make sure that the native Defender product and the Windows Firewall are both working afterwards.

Reaction score
Oh I thought I had better post the techy geeky stuff. ;)
Running windows 10 on a custom built laptop with Intel i7 processor - Nvida 990 gtx - Samsung SSD which has the OS on it, ( /C:) 1TB spare hard drive (/D:) 8 GB Ram.
Wifi card is Intel Wireless N 7265
Ethernet - Realtek PCi GBE family controler

Reaction score
Thank You
I uninstalled totally AVAST using your link. Rebooted and still get no internet connection. Still not seeing that I have a cable connected too.
:confused:

no net.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
custom built laptop
Built by whom?
Does it have a brand name?
This driver Win10 Auto Installation Program (SID:1832221) 10.008 2016/4/28 10300k from here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
Should get the wired Ethernet (cabled) connection working, unless the manufacturer has added some proprietary bits to it and requires that a specific driver be downloaded from the manufacturer's support site.
Likewise this driver from here
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10
Should get the wireless adapter going. Again, unless there is something proprietary about it.
Laptops can be a bit temperamental about the drivers that manage to actually work.
Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Custom built by a UK company - PC specailist. They are pretty repitable . They use a Clevio case and MBoard. I have had it since August and the issue has only just begun .

Thanks for the links . Ill give them a go although device manager says I have the most upto date drivers.
I am willing to try anything because right now connecting to my neighbours wifi at 1 meg download is not really any fun at all !!

{edit} Ill be back in two hours when the file has downloaded .......Grrrrrrrr LOL

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... Device Manager's reporting of a particular drivers suitability is not always the best reference to go by.
Often it may very well be the best driver that Windows Updates has available and installed, which can be the problem.
Windows Updates has produced some problems for many with respect to auto-updating device drivers that are frequently...... less than optimal for the particular device.

Reaction score
Thanks for your imput Mr T,

I installed the drivers.
I made a back up of windows on a USB stick. I did this because I ma wondering if I need to reinstall windows all together.
I rebooted the router a couple of times last night then went to watch a movie while the back up was running.
Woke up this morning and I heard the software I use for net connection "ping"
Well Ill be damned... The Wifi connected. !! I have no idea why ? I dident do anything!!

However the ethernet is still saying the cable is disconnected.

For now at least I have wifi (fingers crossed)

Reaction score
BTW, I looked in the Windows event viewer and I can see some errors relating to the Ethernet drivers .
I just dont understand it enough to put it right :p

Event viewr.JPG

Reaction score
I download the real tek from the link above but i wasstill unable to get the ethernet to work.
However, I did not mind so much as the Wifi was working like a dream with no connection drops for all of Sunday.
However I came home from work today Monday and I now have no wifi or ethernet connection.

I just dont get it !! The machine was running fine this morning on wifi when I left for work. According to the software monitoring program I have running it dropped at 12.35 today and wont connect again,

How strange is that :p

By the way my spare laptop is fine and connection to the internet is good.

Any ideas what else I could try please

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Double check Device Manager.
Make sure you uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save ..........."
For both your adapters (wired and wireless)

PowerMgmtTab.JPG

Reaction score
Im stumped !!
I did that Mr T and still have no internet .. The Wifi is connected fine but with no access to the internet.
The ethernet is still stuck on "no cable"

no set to auto.JPG

Reaction score
:(
Cries

I can only post from this win 10 machine because I am connected to my neighbours wifi ( which indicated that my Wifi card is good)

My windows 7 machine is connected sucsessfully to my router... internet .. DSL .. PP sessions

Something is wrong with windows 10 that is making me cry

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In your "Network Connections" windows that you have open
Right click the TP-LINK and choose "disable"
Give it a minute, until it shows that it is disabled, then right click it again and choose "enable"

Your Ethernet connection.
Can you try a new cable?
Do you see lights at both ends (the computer and the router / switch port) there should be a connectivity light (usually amber) and possibly an activity light (usually green) which would indicate that something is going on.
Do you have an empty switch port that you can swap to, or a known good port that you can switch your cable with.
Usually when it says "unplugged" it thinks it is, in that it is not connected properly and either the cable is bad or the port on one end or the other is bad. Confirm that it is connected firmly, usually you can hear a click as the retainer clip catches.

Reaction score
Thank You Mr T for your time and patience.

I have done exactly as you said and diasabled the TP link Wifi connection .. I them enabled it again but still could not connect via the router .
enable disable.JPG

Reaction score
As you can see .
The router has power , It is synced to the internet,
it is connect to the internet , it is broadcasting on both 2Ghz
and 5Ghz
I need to do your last suggestion and try a new RJ45 ethernet cable. However I dont believe this is the problem because how come my wifi workes on my windows 7 machine .. wifi workes on my phone ... Wifi works on my TV too and I can watch netflix.. !!
Wifi works all around the house
Just not on this windows 10 machine

o_O

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that particular router but....
If those four dark spots are suppose to be link lights indicating that you have your computer connected to one of those four switch ports, then the fact that they are not illuminated might not bode well.
I think you need to double check the back of that router and look at the switch ports versus the WAN port and make sure you have your computer's adapter cable plugged into one of the switch ports

Ask a Question