Windows 10 won't work

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you hit F12 during post, do you see a boot menu?
IF so.... what do you see as options for you to choose from?
IF you use the arrow keys to select the other drive as the boot option in a particular instance...... what happens?

There are other options to connect the drive to your computer that does not involve connecting it to a SATA port.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=USB+3.0+SATA+dock

Perhaps something like that might be a better option to use to rescue the files you need to get from the drive.

Reaction score
I didn't read before that the drives in question were SATA drives. And that's correct that SATA drives do not have jumpers. I still think the drive is toast. Drives can go bad at any age. Some are bad even out of the box.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not positive that they are SATA, I was just assuming that based on his having mentioned that one was only 12 months old.
His reference to master and slave would lead me to believe that they might be IDE, but you probably wouldn't purchase one of those in the past year unless you had to.

Reaction score
Sorry for the mix up guys I was referring to sata drives and I meant jumpers in as much as my own pc carries a primary and secondary drive so I unplugged the secondary drive in mine and replaced it with the drive from my son's. When I hit f12 I get the standard bios menu and use advanced settings to switch between the two as primary and secondary but as I mentioned if I set his as primary then it won't boot up at all but with mine as primary it will boot up using his drive. It seems that it is using the clean boot protocol on my drive to boot his up but then it won't recognise mine to provide an image file? I can't get his to fire up with recovery options? Unless someone has the correct powershell information that I could cut and paste?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Depending on what is on your "secondary" drive, you may want to leave that in place and connect the other drive as a third drive.
Generally speaking a UEFI machine will use the "Windows Boot Manager" as the primary boot option, if for some reason your secondary drive contains Boot Configuration Data, then disconnecting it might prevent your computer from booting normally.
As I said in my post #21 above, you might want to consider exploring some alternative external options to connect the problem drive to your computer.

Reaction score
My secondary drive is purely for storage and contains no windows files at all. My primary drive is backed up to the cloud. I told my son to do the same and set him up with zed drive the same as me but he didn't use it. I was considering buying a caddy to use with my xbox1 so two birds one stone. I can't even format his drive at the minute which is a shame since he's now got my only spare drive. Lop

Ask a Question