Windows 7 Professional Not Authentic.

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that my office computer chose to download Windows 10 on its own and I was told from my manager NOT to download. So I clicked decline on the terms and conditions. It restarted the computer with Windows 7 again except the wallpaper is now black with small writing in the corner saying something along the lines of "this may be a counterfeit copy of Windows." My boss then says to go ahead and download. Now it won't let me because my Windows version is not authentic all of a sudden. I tried to restore the computer to an earlier date and now it's installing an update that seems like it's frozen in the process. Can I turn the computer off even if it says not to? Please help so my boss doesn't kill me!!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This is usually the point where people start making things worse by panicking.
The best thing you can do is to observe the hard disk activity light to discern if the computer is still working or at least see if you can hear the hard drive working.
I would let it run for at least a full day (over night). IF you are caught in a diagnosis and then a repair it can take as much as four hours or more for each of the two steps, for a total of 8 hours or so.
A simple system restore is considerably faster but it can take as much as a couple hours and worse case ..... then pitch the system to a diagnose and repair environment adding too what is a long process.

Ask a Question