Windows Application Permission Issues

Reaction score
Hi,

I am facing an issue related to file access on my Windows 10 Home OS 64 bit. I recently installed a software called Informatica on my system. This application triggers a service when its started. But I am unable to get a response from the service even though it shows as "Running". On checking the logs for this service, I find the following

C:\Informatica\9.6.1\tomcat\logs\exceptions.log

2020-04-11 15:00:37,339 ERROR [Domain Monitor] [NODE_10017] Cannot write node metadata to the configuration file [C:\Informatica\9.6.1\isp\config\nodemeta.xml]. Verify that the file is accessible and there are no problems with the network or file path.
com.informatica.isp.corecommon.exceptions.ISPException: [FrameworkUtils_0021] Cannot find [WORKGROUP\LAPTOP-HH4DEO09$] while applying read-write permissions.

I am unable to understand why the service is not able to resolve the permissions. I have granted full permissions to the folders and the file concerned. Please check the attachments for the same.

Kindly help troubleshoot this one.

Thanks,
Sree

Attachments

• Permission1.JPG
    Permission1.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 190
  • Permission2.JPG
    Permission2.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 199

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
1. Check explicit permissions for the specific account you are using.

2. Check for group membership conflicts.
IF the account you are using is a member of multiple groups (Administrators and Users for example) the Group Permissions are applied to that account and the most restrictive wins the battle. Administrators Group may be granted Full Permission but "Users" may be more restrictive.

SO you can either grant expansive permissions to all the groups that your account is a member of
OR you can remove the account from any Group that has more restrictive permissions.

I've found that in some instances, because of native inheritance, especially for deeply nested files it can be helpful to have your account as a member of the "Administrators" Group only and nothing else.
That way, when permissions are parsed and access tokens are awarded there is less chance of you having missed some inheritance being passed down from parent containers.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your response. In the error message it does not specify anywhere what user is running the process. My login account is LAPTOP-HH4DEO09\Sree. My system name being LAPTOP-HH4DEO09.

I see Sree is part of both Administrators and Users (and many other groups) as per the screenshot. Is it really necessary to remove Sree from Users group?

Attachments

• Admin.png
    Admin.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 176

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Capture.PNG

Is it really necessary to remove Sree from Users group?
I'm not going to tell you what you should do with your user account.
I simply make suggestions which you can either use or ignore.
I believe I provided at least one other option, but.....
You really need to do some serious research on managing NTFS permissions. There is plenty of articles / explanations and examples out there.

Ask a Question