Windows fails to start when more than 8GB RAM

Reaction score
I upgraded the RAM of my Laptop to 16 GB (from 8 GB) and the Windows 10 wasn't starting anymore; no blue screen ....just loading it again and again (the same with Windwos 8.1). The simple fix was to set this amount in "BOOT advanced Options".

The problem now is that I can't use anymore my WinPE live pendrive to backup the OS. Do you know how I can edit WinPE to force it start with a fixed amount of RAM ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Something doesn't sound right if you're restricted to running 8GB ram (I'm guessing your laptop supports 16GB just fine?). Could you try booting from a usb drive and run some memory testing software? I think MemTest86 includes a USB boot installer now: http://www.memtest.org/ - there's a chance you've got faulty memory and are just working around the problem.

Reaction score
Something doesn't sound right if you're restricted to running 8GB ram (I'm guessing your laptop supports 16GB just fine?). Could you try booting from a usb drive and run some memory testing software? I think MemTest86 includes a USB boot installer now: http://www.memtest.org/ - there's a chance you've got faulty memory and are just working around the problem.
I had to set the maximum amount to 16GB to properly start the OS. There are no issues either with the RAM or the motherboard. The processor supports 16 GB @1333MHz, the BIOS sees properly this amount but the Windows doesn't get a proper information about that.
My question is about editing the WinPE images so I could start them without having to remove a RAM module each time.

Reaction score
Are you using "WinPE" as your primary OS?

WindowsPE is only used as a troubleshooting tool and/or pre-installation of a OS. As such, I don't think there's any way to do what your asking.
WinPE is used by backup software as Norton SRD, AOMEI Backupper, Macrium, etc. There is always a way to change the boot settings, but I don't know how.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Do you want to edit the WinPE Images...which I don't think you can, which is what I was answering to in your post #3? Or, do you want to change the boot order of your system?

Changing the boot order is easy...2 ways to do this. One is in the BIOS and the other is using the F12 key at the post beep of a restart. This will bring up the boot menu prior (before) entering the BIOS. It's the easiest way, I think.

Reaction score
Does the installed memory meet the specs of your MOBO, speed, voltage, max memory/DIMM slot? Some PC boards are picky and require the installation of additional memory in matched pairs.matched pairs. Try reversing what you did and see if your current problem is resolved..I have never had to resort to setting the amount of installed RAM in the Boot Advanced options.

Reaction score
Are you using "WinPE" as your primary OS?
WindowsPE is only used as a troubleshooting tool and/or pre-installation of a OS. As such, I don't think there's any way to do what your asking.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766093(v=ws.10).aspx
WinPE is the environment which runs those software. I have to edit the startup in order to set manually the maximum amount of RAM to be used.

Does the installed memory meet the specs of your MOBO, speed, voltage, max memory/DIMM slot? Some PC boards are picky and require the installation of additional memory in matched pairs.matched pairs. Try reversing what you did and see if your current problem is resolved..I have never had to resort to setting the amount of installed RAM in the Boot Advanced options.
I remember something like that with some ASUS motherboards. When this happens, there will be crashes - it's not the case here. After setting manually the amount, the Windows is stable, it posts correctly and I have access to all available amount. All the parameters of the two RAM banks are as they should normally be.
I haven't understood "Reversing" (what more exactly ?). The two RAM modules are similar as they are part of a dual-channel package.

Reaction score
Reversing! As in reversing the install procedure. That is, remove the 16 GB memory, install the original OEM memory and see if your problem (can't use anymore my WinPE live pendrive to backup the OS) still exists. If the problem disappears then see Ian's (#2) post.

Reaction score
Reverting back to 8GB allows me to start properly WinPE (and the backup software). Still, it doesn't help me as every time I'll make/restore a backup I have to remove a memory module. The proper solution is to find a way to specify to WinPE the maximum amount of RAM to use during boot.

Reaction score
You say that everything works well if you revert back to 8GB of RAM; but you have to remove a memory module to create a restore point or backup. This doesn't make any logical sense (novice) to me. As bassfisher mentioned, WinPE is an online recovery tool.
My question is: Why are you not using Windows 10 built in Recovery Environment ?
I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with WinPE to go any further with this problem, maybe other members are more familiar with the software.

Reaction score
You say that everything works well if you revert back to 8GB of RAM; but you have to remove a memory module to create a restore point or backup. This doesn't make any logical sense (novice) to me. As bassfisher mentioned, WinPE is an online recovery tool.
My question is: Why are you not using Windows 10 built in Recovery Environment ?
I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with WinPE to go any further with this problem, maybe other members are more familiar with the software.

As WinPE has almost the same kernel as Windows, it's not a surprise it doesn't start. I've started the Windows making a simple change (and I don't know how and where to edit WinPE to have a similar change).
"Why are you not using Windows 10 built in Recovery Environment ?"
It is not offline and why should I ? there are many other tools (some free) and they work quite well.
"but I'm not familiar with WinPE "
:D Nortod SRD, Norton Ghost ... use the same approach.

Ask a Question