Windows Live Mail

Reaction score
Hi my PC updated at the end of 2017 since then every time I start WLM I have to go through a series of actions to get my set up back ie hit View>compact view>select a folder open a message in folder>select green cross>I see all my folders are ticked select OK >click compact view and bingo all my folders return EVERY TIME I start WLM is there a cure for this ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
You may need to delete the affected account, then set it up again.

Your other option, if you have no all ready tried, is to open Control Panel > Programs and attempt to right-click on WLM > select uninstall > select Repair

Reaction score
You may need to delete the affected account, then set it up again.

Your other option, if you have no all ready tried, is to open Control Panel > Programs and attempt to right-click on WLM > select uninstall > select Repair
I have tried your suggestion but I do not see WLM as an installed program to select it and is not obvious to me what I should do to be able to access it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
It may be listed as Windows Live Essentials if you're using 2011 or 2012 edition

Reaction score
I think you will find the repair feature, will only offer to delete or change one or two of the available, within Essentials.
But Essentials/WLM, has become a redundant program in Windows 10. If you can sort out your individual problems, it is still well worth using. Current downloads are even refused installation in most cases.
I would suggest you have a look at the built in Mail program, or even one of repute such as Thunderbird.
I was, a while ago, an enthusiastic user of WLM but in the end was forced to move on due to irritants such as you are encountering.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Interesting davehc.

I have not played around with WLM in a while now, but a quick check and you are quite correct.

Microsoft have disabled WLM from installing.

I imagine it simply does not meet the modern security needs for email servers to co-operate with it any longer given Microsoft ended support for it last year.

Ask a Question