Windows Mail 10 Primary Account Totally Confused

Reaction score
This is my first new computer in five years. I used to have Vista. Now I have Windows 10.

I'm totally confused about how I set-up the default mailprogram or how to change something vital.

Originally, I wanted Windows Live Mail like before, but I guess 2012 was the last version and it has two issues: I can't import my old calendar into it and it refuses to allow me to pin to the taskbar which would be very nice.

So fine, I thought, I will try the Windows Mail program. Honestly, I'm not sure what I did at first, but I created an email account, which I think became my primary account. It seems to call it an "Outlook" account but there is a weird symbol next to the name, like a box with an E or something. It only has two options "Change Mailbox Sync Settings" and " Change Account Settings." Under Sync Settings, it only will let me type in a server, but I don't understand that because normally I need to enter both incoming and outgoing server information. For instance, I created another account, and under Sync Settings, I can scroll down to Advanced Settings, and change it to income email server and outgoing email server.

I keep getting an error message for this odd primary account in that it needs to be fixed, but i dk how to fix it, b/c i can't delete it and create a different one, and yet it won't let me modify the advanced settings, they just don't exist.

Does anyone have any idea what i did, or how to undo it or fix it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I tried and gave up on this MS mail system back when it first appeared on Insider releases.

There are several good reliable FREE mail client systems out there. I use Thunderbird which has worked fine since Windows XP and works fine on W10 ( It also works on Mac and Linux). It lets you specify your mail accounts ( I use 2) and whether they are POP or IMAP. It has a built in calendar...I don't know whether it allows import but I would not be surprised if there isn't some way.

Others swear by Eudora.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
The default email software is the Outlook App....which I hate. I always use an email client....a specific software for emails and in my case I use Outlook 2016 from MS Office 2016 Pro.

I would stick with MS Essentials and use the live mail if you don't have a MS Office product. First uninstall the 2012 version and reboot and then download from here ( Windows Essentials ). Then go through install making sure to tick the boxes for the software you want installed. I only use the email service, the rest I leave unticked. Then set up your primary email of your choice...ie yahoo, gmail, live mail and so on from here.....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/setup-email-contacts-tutorial

Reaction score
I just turned off all the Microsoft related mail systems.
I installed Mozilla Thunderbird.
I keep my mail account on gmail.
I have access to my gmail accounts through Thunderbird on all my Linux systems, my Windows system, and my Android phone hooks directly into the gmail.

I do not miss Microsoft at all. And, if you have seen my other recent posts.... I am in the process of "kissing Microsoft Good-bye"

Reaction score
In case you missed it, Jeff. As you refer to Windows Live mail, in your post, then have a look at bassfisher's post. Live mail is part of Windows essentials. Download it from his link. You can select all or one of the options (Windows LIve Mail).

Reaction score
I user Outlook 2010 64 Bit and it works fine foe me. I only use it for private type emails for everyday I use numerous clients.

Ask a Question