SOLVED Windows MAIL slow

Reaction score
Why is windows MAIL so slow, especially when sending e-mails, can take up to 6 minutes to send.. Windows Live Mail is so much better in every way why did they have to change things for the worst?

Reaction score
my MAIL app works as expected, although I personally prefer Live Mail,
I'm running both at the moment (because of Microsofts Live Mail impending demise)

check the store to see if you have the latest app version
( in Downloads & Updates, I show Updated 24/08/2016, version 17.7167.49727.0 )

you could try opening the Mail app, settings, Manage Accounts,
Change maibox sync settings, I have : Download new content - as items arrive,
Download email from - any time, Server - ???????? (not sure what yours should be),
Sync options - Email (set to) On

if thats no improvement, you could try :
Deleteing your account & then adding it in again

Reaction score
Referring to your first post. I totally agree. I was a dedicated WLM user for many years. Certain changes have begun to interfere with the program, possibly deliberate interference form MS, to force users over to the built in Mail program?

I have recently, therefore, started to use MS Outlook. A fine program, but with far more than I need from a simple Email fetcher, a little slower and clumsy for the same reasons.

For the moment, in contrast, The built in Windows 10 Mail program is inadequate for my needs.
But. 6 minutes is unre4asonalbe and, imo, not particularly associated with any Mail programs but rather the internet .
Fwiw. If there was an update available, it would have been delivered to you automatically. The version quoted is , so far the only one available.

Reaction score
my MAIL app works as expected, although I personally prefer Live Mail,
I'm running both at the moment (because of Microsofts Live Mail impending demise)

check the store to see if you have the latest app version
( in Downloads & Updates, I show Updated 24/08/2016, version 17.7167.49727.0 )

you could try opening the Mail app, settings, Manage Accounts,
Change maibox sync settings, I have : Download new content - as items arrive,
Download email from - any time, Server - ???????? (not sure what yours should be),
Sync options - Email (set to) On

if thats no improvement, you could try :
Deleteing your account & then adding it in again

Thank you BRETWIN10 for your help, I have tried your ideas already, but I have downloaded Mozila Thunderbird and it is fast, but does take some getting used to, but will plod on. thanks again for your help.

Referring to your first post. I totally agree. I was a dedicated WLM user for many years. Certain changes have begun to interfere with the program, possibly deliberate interference form MS, to force users over to the built in Mail program?

I have recently, therefore, started to use MS Outlook. A fine program, but with far more than I need from a simple Email fetcher, a little slower and clumsy for the same reasons.

For the moment, in contrast, The built in Windows 10 Mail program is inadequate for my needs.
But. 6 minutes is unre4asonalbe and, imo, not particularly associated with any Mail programs but rather the internet .
Fwiw. If there was an update available, it would have been delivered to you automatically. The version quoted is , so far the only one available.

Thank you DAVEHC for your response, I have just tried Mozila Thunderbird and seems very good but will take time to get used to. Thanks again

Reaction score
I use thunderbird. I find it does just what I need. It has one great advantage. You can move it all to another machine . Windows, Mac or Linux, just by copying one directory and re downloading the application.

It has two disadvantages. 1) Mozilla have just about stopped development. 2) I have not found a RELIABLE FREE way to copy all the old mail, sent items etc into another mail client. I tried Outlook 16 but could not get my several years worth of mail into it in a sensible format.

Reaction score
I use thunderbird. I find it does just what I need. It has one great advantage. You can move it all to another machine . Windows, Mac or Linux, just by copying one directory and re downloading the application.

It has two disadvantages. 1) Mozilla have just about stopped development. 2) I have not found a RELIABLE FREE way to copy all the old mail, sent items etc into another mail client. I tried Outlook 16 but could not get my several years worth of mail into it in a sensible format.

Funny you should mention Thunderbird, I have tried it and it works well, must say takes a bit of getting used to but good product. thanks for your advice

Ask a Question