SOLVED Windows Restore Button Not Working

Reaction score
I think since Creators update (maybe first one, not sure) my restore button does not function on any screen. Close and Maximise do work. The keyboard shortcut of Alt > Space gets the dialog box but Size is greyed out. I can't see this reported elsewhere as an issue. This is Surface 3 Pro running latest W10, Fall Creators Update. Any ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Problempage,

what make and model PC/Laptop do you have?, it may be a driver problem?. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks. It has been like it for a while so thinking restore point won't work and reluctant to do anything drastic as otherwise everything is mostly okay! I also find open but minimised apps on task bar don't always open by clicking but need to go right click, then open especially Outlook.

Reaction score
Hello again. Decided to go to MS Helpdesk. Spent literally hours with four different agents. Each one spends half the time understanding that the problem is not to do with Windows Restore but the Restore button, top right!
They have totally reinstalled Windows. Done loads of check routines via command line but nothing changes. In fact there are other problems like following a link in an email from MS brings up OneDrive error message instead. Copy and pasting the URL does work.
My son in law has wiped his Surface Pro 4 and started from scratch. I think I will have to do similar. My Android S8 also has annoying things using Outlook. I am for the first time in 25 years of complete anti-Apple, thinking of getting rid of the whole lot and going over to the dark side and getting Apple everything. Seriously.

Reaction score
Is this your model?:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-pro/overview

I cannot comment on Surface Pro as I have never seen/used one!. If you want an alternative even though Windows restore should work, you can try dual booting with Linux, it is free and a near good replacemnet for MS products rather than pay Crapple tons of money for restricted software!:

https://distrowatch.com/

Kubuntu is a good bet as it looks and feels a lot like Windows!. :)

The other alternative is to download a fresh copy of Windows 10 S (I assume it is the "S" version) and do a complete fresh install, you don't need a key as it already has a digital signature and you just wipe the lot!. when asked for the key during install, just click "I don't have a key".

MAKE SURE IT IS WINDOWS 10 S!.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/download-install-windows-10-s-on-pc :)

Reaction score
Thanks, Wolfie. Over Christmas when my son in law around we will wipe it and start again. It is W10, Creators Fall which we will need on external media. My data is all on One Drive or Outlook 365 so restoring should be ok. I understand OneDrive needs to be unlinked first otherwise that will wipe too. Now that IS a scary prospect!

Reaction score
Hi Problempage,

I don't use OneDrive or any other cloud services, although useful; I find them a pain and back-up all my data on an external USB drive/other partition!.

That said, you can read through the tips given in the following link but make sure you have all your data backed up first!:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/e495a1c3-0f64-441c-bb98-31134e827d0b?auth=1 :)

Good luck and let us kow what happens. ;)

Reaction score
This will probably not work, but, for the heck of it, try this old trick.
Open File manager. Click view and then "Navigation pane"
Whatever state it is in, change it, and then change it back again. Close the File manager and see if it has helped.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie & davehc. Wolfie - Thanks for that. Like I said, will probably have a go after Xmas. Re: OneDrive the Tb of Storage and up to Date Office apps, ease of use, auto photo back up (Android) makes this an excellent value product as far as I am concerned. Fall Creators brought back placeholders in File Explorer which is much better. A definite recommend.
davehc - thanks for tip. I tried it but nothing, alas. The odd thing is that when you navigate to the Restore button it does highlight grey, like the other two either side, but it has no function when pressed. Like I said in original post the Alt>Space keyboard shortcut brings up the dialog box, top left, but Move and Size are greyed out. It's very weird and being unable to have multiple Windows open is sometimes awkward.
If I get this fixed (or not!) I will update you. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Guys.....You are not going to believe my utter stupidity. I continued browsing for answers and came across anold post. My Surface Pro 3 was in Tablet Mode, bottom right by clock!!! I'm so embarrassed but so should four MS HelpDesk people who had Remote Access and spent literally hours trying to fix it. Incredibly embarrassing and annoying. Appreciate your attention and help. Have a good festive break...mine won't involve a system wipe! I also narrowly escaped a move to Apple (I dislike them intensely, grabbing lot). Went in the store yesterday but they don't do a full OS device with touch screen let alone a two in one. Glad because I have loved this Surface and would have moved with a heavy heart.

Reaction score
You got it sorted and that is the main thing, like Dave said, I also overlook things, things like switching the PC on before trying to work on it!. :):):) Merry Christmas all!. :D:D:D

Ask a Question