Windows Restore

Reaction score
Hi I;m running windows 10 pro and restore point fails with this error 0x80070091 any ideas please (i have tried safe mode)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Guitarman,

Can you please post the complete wording of the error message or post a screen shot of the full error message.

If that is not possible, can you let us know whether the error message made any mention of Appxstaging at all.

If it did then your issue lies with a corruption inside the WindowsApps folder located here:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Renaming that folder to WindowsApps.old, then restarting pc and running System Restore ought to then work, and restore the WindowsApps in the process; but if not you can rename that folder back to its original name.

Note: You will need to take ownership of the folder to rename it.

Anyway let us know the precise error message and we can move from there to help you get things working again.

One thing to note is the January 2017 Cumulative update is known now to cause such issues for some users; so if you have not downloaded and installed more recent cumulative updates that too may resolve your troubles.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Re Error 0x80070091.....

Just 3 weeks ago I did a Restore point and got the above error, same as yours, Guitarman, right before my screen went black and my PC died. I put the error number into a good search engine and got the following.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

answers.microsoft.com

System Restore error 0x80070091

Jestoni Mac asked on March 17, 2017
Microsoft

Microsoft has identified an issue in Windows 10 where System Restore will fail to complete and will generate the following error:

Details:
System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point.
Source: AppxStaging
Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070091)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harold Fra replied on March 17, 2017
Microsoft

Updated (3/21/17)

Hi Jestoni,

We are currently investigating the issue and will update this thread when we have more information.

Advanced users can resolve the problem by trying one of the two options listed below:

Option 1: Rename the WindowsApps folder in Safe Mode

1. Boot into Safe Mode.
2. Right click on Start and click on Command Prompt (admin).
3. Type these commands below one by one.

• cd C:\Program Files
• takeown /f WindowsApps /r /d Y
• icacls WindowsApps /grant “%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%”:(F) /t
• attrib WindowsApps -h
• rename WindowsApps WindowsApps.old
4. Reboot back into Windows.
5. Run System Restore.

Option 2: Rename the WindowsApps folder from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1.Boot into WinRE. To do this, click Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery. Then under Advanced startup, click Restart now.

2.Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt. Enter your administrator password when prompted.

3.Type these commands, one by one: ◦cd C:\Program Files
◦attrib WindowsApps -h
◦rename WindowsApps WindowsAppsOld

4.Reboot Windows.

5.Run System Restore.

Regards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good luck. My windows 10 software didn't reload on a reboot and now I've got a black screen of death and my PC is no longer working.

Reaction score
As an update, I tried to do the steps in Option 2, and got absolutely nothing. I typed in "cd C:\Program Files" in Command Prompt as instructed and just kept getting an error message which said, Cannot find file path.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
In case you havint figured this out yet or for someone else coming in after with same issue.

You can try to cd to path with a space in name by quoting the path like below.

cd "C:\Program Files"

Should work fine

Last edited:

Ask a Question