Windows Roll Back After Resetting Laptop

Reaction score
Today I had to completely reset my windows setup on my lenovo ideapad 410 as roll backs restart points etc wouldn't fix my issue. However its rolled it all the way back to windows 8.1. Could someone let me know if I keep working through the windows updates if it will return to windows 10?

Thanks in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Could someone let me know if I keep working through the windows updates if it will return to windows 10?
Yes.
You should see the GWX.exe icon appear in the System Tray.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to consider keeping the installation media on hand for future possible usage.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media then you simply launch setup.exe from the media from within your current version of Windows to perform the in-place upgrade.
In the case of upgrading from Windows 8.1 as seems to be your situation.... You can simply double click the ISO file and that will mount it as a virtual drive, where you can select and run setup.exe.

Assuming you already have had Windows 10 installed and activated, I would expect that you would just be able to go straight to upgrading without the need to catch up on all the updates.

NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cheers, got up to the win 10 update and now I'm locked in a perpetual reboot black screen that says preparing automatic repair. F8 f2 and f11 all do nothing for safe mode so can't even begin the process again. Currently downloading those files you linked above to see if the USB boot will get me a clean quick win 10 restore. Thanks again

Reaction score
Yep I'm now in a loop of black boot screens. It eventually loses the preparing automatic repair and the mouse becomes visible but no further. I got into the bios but I can't find how to reset windows back to default. Internet's pretty poor at the moment so its another 3 hours for the windows iso to download on the main PC. Thanks again

Reaction score
Got the windows 10 iso however I'm unsure if as it was in the process of windows 8.1-10 I may need the win8.1 iso? I've just tries the USB with 10 on it and it continues to blue screen then prepare automatic repair forever. I've been into the bios to make sure that boot from USB is before the hard drive and no luck.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's possible that you may not have prepared the installation media properly.
IF the computer is a newer model, it's likely that it has a UEFI BIOS and possibly a GPT hard disk partition format.
You will need to configure Rufus to produce a bootable USB ThumbDrive to account for that.

Rufus.JPG

Reaction score
You absolute hero, I just had left it as default under partition and it seems to have done the trick. I'll report back, again thanks a million so far for all your patience and help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No problem, thanks for persevering and sticking with it.
Hope that does the trick.

Ask a Question